Wouldn't it be nice to pass smog without visual inspection?

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
It is a longshot, but I've sent letters to my representatives outlining my idea and if you agree, I'd encourage you to do the same.

The program:

Waive the visual portion of smog checks if the vehicle's actual tailpipe emissions are less than half of the maximum allowed for an unmodified car. For example, if the maximum allowed hydrocarbon emissions are 200 parts per million, the car could pass the smog check without popping the hood if it emitted less than 100ppm HC.

I think this would encourage responsible modification and help combat air pollution. (Plus no more hassles from cops checking under the hood)

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
interesting idea. The counter argument would be that if it passes by that large a margin and does not have the required equipment verified visually, it could emit less if they found anything missing, thus they should inspect it.

Your proposal is similar to what we have here. We only have a quick visual to ensure the charcoal canister, EGR and cats are present and working (the basics, though most inspectors don't know about the pre-cat). Beyond that, if it has the big 3 still installed and working and the car passes, you're on your way.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
bgrieger said:
The counter argument would be that if it passes by that large a margin and does not have the required equipment verified visually, it could emit less if they found anything missing, thus they should inspect it.

It might emit less if it had all the visual components, but it might emit more. My car ran cleaner on the AEM ems than on the stock ECU, but since the check-engine light wouldn't flash when they shorted T and E1, it failed visual...

Another example: You bought an Injen intake for your S2000 instead of an AEM intake. Both do the exact same thing, but AEM can afford to shell out the $2000 to get a CARB number. The injen intake therefore fails visual...

Another example: You bought an intercooler kit from a small company on the forums. It is better in all regards to the HKS intercooler kit, but the HKS kit has the CARB number...

None of these cases would matter in your area since they just check for charcol cannister and EGR, but they're hurdles that affect many people here...

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Certainly I see where you're coming from, but just as easily, the parts could be inferior to the carb approved alternatives and hurt emissions. The carb approval system is a nightmare and on a whole different train of thought it definately places an unfair barrier to competition for smaller businesses trying to offer services they should be allowed to. I don't say I agree with the carb sticker route, and would be all over my representative if they tried something similar here (actually, I did help lobbying a couple of years back when our government was trying to outlaw anything other than factory/oem equivelant parts outright).

Hey, if you have a rep that's willing to listen, and I would try bringing a bunch of small businesses to the table as their voices are heard much more loud and clear than individuals are in cases like this. Perhaps the real solution would be to make the carb sticker process less cumbersome and more cost effective than it is now. This is how we approached our problem here. Grassroots support, lobby business owners, they see the market potential and start banging the same drum!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not only will your effort be ineffective but as we speak new legislation to toughen emissions standards for all cars is winding it way through the process. Even if it remains unchanged your suggestion would not work for several reasons. Not the least of which is this particular car has long been on Cali's "Test Only" hit list because of it's dismal record of failing both visual and tailpipe. I'll give you one guess as to why that happened...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bgrieger said:
Certainly I see where you're coming from, but just as easily, the parts could be inferior to the carb approved alternatives and hurt emissions.

umm no.

see even though HKS has thier brand on it. Japan has NO FOUNDARIES at all. Care to take a guess where most of the mass produced aluminum comes from?

bgrieger said:
The carb approval system is a nightmare and on a whole different train of thought it definately places an unfair barrier to competition for smaller businesses trying to offer services they should be allowed to. I don't say I agree with the carb sticker route, and would be all over my representative if they tried something similar here (actually, I did help lobbying a couple of years back when our government was trying to outlaw anything other than factory/oem equivelant parts outright).

Hey, if you have a rep that's willing to listen, and I would try bringing a bunch of small businesses to the table as their voices are heard much more loud and clear than individuals are in cases like this. Perhaps the real solution would be to make the carb sticker process less cumbersome and more cost effective than it is now. This is how we approached our problem here. Grassroots support, lobby business owners, they see the market potential and start banging the same drum!

the pnly thing about that. In the end. It is a revenue generating system for california. Personally not sure why as they have absurd taxes on everything plus the carb nonsense which makes for a system that points to greed as the motive and not the tree hugging hippies.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I used to live in Pasadena CA in the late 80's. You could not see the mountains 2 miles away 95% of the year because of smog and smog alerts were almost a daily occurrence. Today, the air is clear and smog alerts are very rare. The system works and I support it.