would you replace this radiator?

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Last year I did something stupid and accidentally left a socket wrench on my crank. When I started the car, the wrench handle spun into the radiator. I've put about 1000 miles on the car in the past year and the radiator hasn't leaked, but today I pulled it because I'm doing some work on the car (installing an ATI damper and new timing belt). There is no evidence of a leak, but I'm wondering if I should replace it. I really don't want to because of how much the PWR's cost, but I'd also rather not have coolant shooting into my engine bay on the highway one day. I'd say the depth of the dent is about 1/8" - 3/16" +/-

I was wondering what your opinions are. Should I be worried about it? (the dark line in the pictures is a shadow)

4858245494_c56e5a2860.jpg

4857627767_6b2fddffdd.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I would, as much as it hurts that's a failure waiting to happen, and given the potential for massive engine damge on a 7M when you lose the coolant I wouldn't risk it...

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I was afraid someone would say that :).

I've had no problem with the PWR and when I bought it 6 years ago I thought it was the best out there. Nowadays, I've seen other brands like Mishimoto, Megan racing, Koyo and they all look similar....on the outside at least. Who knows what lurks inside. With a PWR going for around $500 it would be nice to buy one of equal quality for less, if that exists. Any suggestions?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1600825 said:
I would, as much as it hurts that's a failure waiting to happen, and given the potential for massive engine damge on a 7M when you lose the coolant I wouldn't risk it...

Agreed. Too much risk.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Poodles, yeah most of the tubes that were hit are pinched shut at least on the edge. I'd guess that there is still some flow deeper in.

Grimjack, I was just reading another thread where some folks were having fitment issues with their Mishi's. The fan blades are hitting them and causing them to leak. I'm going to rethink my Mishi purchase tonight.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Honestly I thought the PWR was discontinued, but if you can still find them, $500 is well worth the price. I know people who have had them on Mk3's for YEARS. I still have mine, it's treated me quite well. If you can find another one, I'd suggest springing for the extra bit over the Mishimoto. Mishi = China made? I'm not terribly sure, but PWR's are an Australian thing, and remember the sorts of guys who live down THERE. ;)

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
IJ, what modifications did you suggest? I bought my PWR back in 2004 and I had a few minor fitment issues. I think I had to shave down the rubber grommets on the bottom and one bolt hole for the A/C fans did not line up correctly.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
nuggets;1601132 said:
IJ, what modifications did you suggest? I bought my PWR back in 2004 and I had a few minor fitment issues. I think I had to shave down the rubber grommets on the bottom and one bolt hole for the A/C fans did not line up correctly.

Half the fan mounts were either missing or badly aligned ditto on the shroud mounts, I sent drawings and a stock Rad to them so they could correct all the issues.