Would you/do you run made in china/taiwan car parts on your Supra?

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
How many of you would/do run made in china or taiwan car parts on your Supra?

I'll start. I do. I got a radiator from Pepboys that was made in china or taiwan. I needed a radiator and Pepboys provided a warranty with it, so I bought it. Been almost a year and not an issue.

I suppose for me it all depends on what it is. If it doesn't sacrifice safety and a vender backs up the product they sell, I'm fine with using it. One thing I wouldn't use is racing seats. I'll just pay for a good one from a known brand.

I started this thread to get an idea of who's using what. I know people have bought new stuff off of ebay and I'm guessing a few of those items are made in china or taiwan (exhaust manifolds for example).

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
No Way in Hell !
Hobby, passion, what ever..........
I will not use that crap.
They are the biggest pollution generating country on the face of the earth.
All they know how to do is COPY good parts made elseware.
And their products SUCK...........

I don't stuff socks into my underware,
I don't chase girls with fake titts,
And I will not use a cheap copy of a name brand performance part.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
wait whats wrong with taiwan? a lot of name brands are made in taiwan as it is a first world country and when considering trade its usually seperated from china itself.

but when i sold cameras and when people couldnt decide whether to buy the memory made in china or japan and i would ask this same question LOL (if you would buy chinese car parts or japanese) and people would buy the product from japan even if it was cheaper from china.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Support people who fab.. I've always been about the original ideas MORE so then the replicators. I have learned to accept it more now ( for example shineauto does such a good job I learned not to dislike them replicating ). But when you have an option of buying from Randy and you buy a knock off... ehh I just don't think your helping the community much... but thats an old debate.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
gofastgeorge^^^^ You may wanna do some research on quality control. In know in the past there have been several large American companies who moved their production overseas and had a much great quality control with less returned products, namely K2 Skis. No joke I beleive they had something like 20% returned product due to poor quality control in the US and only like 2% when they moved production to China! Do some research on how advanced those countries are becoming you will be amazed! I use some of their stuff, prefer to make my own but some stuff I can't beat the prices!

Probably should put on a flame suit now but I am all American just open minded!

Thanks,
Seth

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
china has good quality control? errr dog food anyone? oh yeah that whole dog food killing dogs thing :):) that like happens 20% more often in america too heh

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
WG and BOV are from DM
IC is ebay
Mani, DP are xspower I believe (only ones with a t3 mani IIRC)
The exhaust was put together in Japan by the PO of the motor.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
tlo86;1012516 said:
china has good quality control? errr dog food anyone? oh yeah that whole dog food killing dogs thing :):) that like happens 20% more often in america too heh

Wait I missed where I put anything about dog food in my post. Seriously search for the K2 information and I said in some cases they have bette quality control NOT all the time. I have never had a problem with chinesse stuff but I also pay attention to what I buy.

Seth

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Non-stressed parts I don't mind buying from China. Radiators, Intercoolers, pipes, and other pieces with no moving parts are usually fine. I would not, however, buy major mechanical parts from an unknown manufacturer. Things like rods, pistons, or anything else that would destroy the engine if it failed comes from a reputable vendor only.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
umm

where exactly do you guys think those electronics come from inside of the nice HKS/Greddy whatever?

Taiwan = China folks!

All that Aluminum..... CHINA
Stainless..... CHINA

seriously the ignorance stance in this thread is excpetionally strong. Welcome to a global economy.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
sethron71;1012811 said:
Wait I missed where I put anything about dog food in my post. Seriously search for the K2 information and I said in some cases they have bette quality control NOT all the time. I have never had a problem with chinesse stuff but I also pay attention to what I buy.

Seth
i was responding to your "china has good quality control" and thats its basically better than a first world countries quality control and dog food was my example. (in other words its a gamble, at least in first world countries they are generally guaranteed to be more consistant, compare a tubular manifold from a namebrand to a china brand... whose lasts longer)

there is a difference in taiwan products and chinese products. taiwan may officially be part of the 'republic of china' but in practice they are their own country with government power in their own hands. and are trying to seperate their "image" i guess you can say from china. it was, after all, the place the democratic side (chiang kai-sheck) of the chinese civil war after ww2 location retreated to.