would this be sacreligious?

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
I own an 88 n/a supra, it's 7m is getting pretty wore out as it has 150,000 hard miles on it. I happen to have a 5.0 liter high output chevy motor with a t-5 trans sitting in a friends garage. Would it be disgraceful to mod the hell out of my supra to drop this engine and trans combo in?, or should I save it for my other project car? all thoughts and opinions welcome, as I am trying to get some idea's here.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
There was a time when I would have said, yes it's sacreligious. But I've changed my thinking on this subject and would have to say, if you like the idea, and make a good job of it, and are happy with the result then why not?

It's not like you're cutting out the post on a split window corvette. I'd be interested to know how the car drives after you do the swap, as well as what it took to make it happen.

Good luck!

88mkiisupra

supra fiend
Jul 25, 2007
springfield, il.
suprabad said:
There was a time when I would have said, yes it's sacreligious. But I've changed my thinking on this subject and would have to say, if you like the idea, and make a good job of it, and are happy with the result then why not?

It's not like you're cutting out the post on a split window corvette. I'd be interested to know how the car drives after you do the swap, as well as what it took to make it happen.

Good luck!
thanks, like I said it's an idea for now. I also have a 77 bmw in need of an engine.I've kicked around the idea of putting the 7m in it, as most of the feul system is similar, but then thats what I do. I think of ideas and research them for feasability, then look at cost effectiveness, and finally decide yes or no.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Funny you should talk about BMW's with a 7M, my brother and I are in the middle of getting bits together to drop a 7M gte lump in an E30 touring. BMW weighs in at about 1150kg as opposed to 1570kg for the MK3. Even with the added weight of the 7M its still only going to be 1250kg at most, you would have to drive around in a bare shell in a MK3 to get down to that weight.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
88mkiisupra said:
I own an 88 n/a supra, it's 7m is getting pretty wore out as it has 150,000 hard miles on it. I happen to have a 5.0 liter high output chevy motor with a t-5 trans sitting in a friends garage. Would it be disgraceful to mod the hell out of my supra to drop this engine and trans combo in?, or should I save it for my other project car? all thoughts and opinions welcome, as I am trying to get some idea's here.
Go for it. I myself have toyed with the idea not that it's new just would like to see how a supra would perform with a SB chevy. A lot to consider though, a lot of fab work with not to much to reference from. But if you have the motor and tranny and the tools to do a lot of the work yourself:naughty:

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Thumbs down on the T-5 trans if you're every planning on upgrading that motor. What 5.0L high output Chevy motor is that from? Sounds more like a Mustang to me, they all seem to say 5.0L HO on the side of them...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
5.0 chevy = 305...

if it's fuel injected, all the gauges work, and you don't have to cut a hole in the hood, go for it...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
x87SUPRA87x said:
and that means a lot when Joe says go for it lol :icon_bigg

eh, I used to be that guy that would say it's dumb. But at this point, I don't really care as long as it's clean.

Too many MK3s are hack job ugly things. I don't care what's under the hood anymore as long as it looks nice and clean. (not saying a B16 in a supra would be cool though.:biglaugh: )

I'd rather see a clean 5.0 swapped in an MK3 than a hack job 1J.

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
that would rock to have a 5.0 hipo in there but like stated above, it has to be done right without cutting corners. So you will have to plan very well and detailed to make sure you cover your bases.
How weird would it be to hear a hipo tone out of a regular looking mk3.....brain will cont compute for a few moments.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
trust me, I've seen and heard it...

it's not that far off though as you have to neck it down to one pipe to clean under the car...

now an RX-7 with a LS1? that's a jaw dropper when it's started and you're not expecting that sound...