Would it be a waste to..

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Recharge my A/C with a pooched heater core? My A/C went out last year and shortly after my heater core. I'm just wondering if it would be a waste to fill it back up for summer since it's only a summer cruiser or with the done heater core it will come out as fast as it goes in? Pretty sure the condenser is still good, it was blowing cold in 2010 but slowly faded and that would've been at the 20 year mark. It's a '91 TTR, although should be the same as all MK3's, just JDM.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Heat and A/C are completely different systems. Although you may have an A/C leak, having a bad heater core has no effect on the A/C system.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Nah I don't think it's a leak, I know my heater core pooched out about the same time they're 20 years old and A/C's do need recharges. I'll take a chance then, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna be blowing freon in my own face. I would like a new heater core, does Toyota still make them? I just don't really wanna rip up my whole dash and spend 12 hours just to get heat for few nights of the year it cools down and my windows fog up, becauce I have to park it for winter.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it slowly faded away then there is prolly a leak somewhere in the A/C system. Can fill it up and check.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Well I'm not entirely sure as it was already slowly fading when I bought the car so I assumed it was just a sign of aging but if that's the case I guess filling it up is the only way. If it does empty again before the end of summer I guess I'll save up and do the heater core & A/C all at the same time. But it's more of a toy, if I could build it for track I'd just rip the damn thing out but it is more of a street cruiser.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
jetjock;1928119 said:
You shouldn't be attempting AC work unless you know what you're doing and you clearly don't fall into that category.

I know someone with the equipment that does it for a flat fee, I was just curious; and there's a learning curve to everything you gotta start somewhere.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
it will be faster to charge on the high side port. Make sure to use the Freeze 12 stuff. Hold the can under your arm to warm it as it empty's. Once the HCFC-142b leaks out, your compressor performance will improve.
No need to change the dryer or vacuum the system. No worries on contaminants, the expansion valve will catch those for you. As always, more is better. Dont be afraid to see how much Freon the system will hold.

The weather in Alberta appears to be optimal to get the pressures correct too. Good timing.

serious note, make sure your bud keeps the system under vacuum longer then 30 minutes. At your local temps, you need to hit 29.62inhg to boil off any condensation. Very close to space..

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
grimreaper;1928607 said:
it will be faster to charge on the high side port. Make sure to use the Freeze 12 stuff. Hold the can under your arm to warm it as it empty's. Once the HCFC-142b leaks out, your compressor performance will improve.
No need to change the dryer or vacuum the system. No worries on contaminants, the expansion valve will catch those for you. As always, more is better. Dont be afraid to see how much Freon the system will hold.

The weather in Alberta appears to be optimal to get the pressures correct too. Good timing.

serious note, make sure your bud keeps the system under vacuum longer then 30 minutes. At your local temps, you need to hit 29.62inhg to boil off any condensation. Very close to space..

Might want to make sure he knows that's sarcasm. While being mean is one thing, having his arm blown off is another...

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Poodles;1928712 said:
Might want to make sure he knows that's sarcasm. While being mean is one thing, having his arm blown off is another...

haha don't worry I wouldn;t recharge my own A/C I've been implying I would have it done by a proffessional when I did it. This forum has a lot of trolls. The heatercore on the other hand I would do myself, it's just a pain in the ass, tore my whole dash out to do one in my 83 cutlass when I was 17, after finding out the price of a used one was about as much as I paid for the car I just went and bought another vehicle. About a year after that I got into supras, 87 with a blown 7m, swapped it for 7m out of an 88 I bought that was a rust bucket. Now I'm onto a jdm 1jz, had to get bigger and better... and a 5 speed. I'm in college so I try to do as much as I can myself rather then pay a shop.