would a garrett gt28 turbo be too small for my na-t conversion?

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i was told that the turbo is too small.i think the turbo is pretty big.the hotside is the same size as any 50 trim .but the wheel on the front and back is inly 2 inches . i was told by a local supra shop that the turbo will choke my motor cause the wheels are so small.is this true or is the shop just trying to sell me on of thier bigger turbos?

the local shop did confirm it is a real gt28 garrett.i wanna put it on at like 11 lbs and have it spool really early in the power range.

the turbos is made for 4 bangers i know this is a fact .but will it be efficient on a 3.0 7mge-t?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Probably not. I was planning on using a GT2871R on my 1.8 liter Honda and that usually tops out at around 400whp. It was the perfect turbo for me to make 350whp.

It would probably choke with a 3.0 liter.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
what are your power goals? If only want 11psi, I think the stock ct26 can do that and still be effecient. I got a 57 ct26 from dm, and she spools QUICK@8psi, and i'm sure she'll flow enough to break my tranny, or eng. btw i'm also a
ge-T

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You can't judge anything by PSI. That number is useless, as air movement vs PSI changes drastically between turbos.

A gt28 would choke a 3.0L motor.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
shaeff;1239041 said:
You can't judge anything by PSI. That number is useless, as air movement vs PSI changes drastically between turbos.

A gt28 would choke a 3.0L motor.

ok i'm not getting into this.

what i meant is,

a turbo is gonna have to flow so much on a given engine to get that psi@'X' rpm

a 57 ct-26 is gonna flow ample to get 11psi. with a na-t it'll flow more even at a lower rpm, i bet a stock ct would.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
As I recall, Randy at BICPerformance put TWO of those on a 1J - so, an engine with .5 Litres less in the way of displacement. And he didn't even keep that setup for long, now he's running a single again - not that this says much, his car is essentially the shop vehicle, he changes his setup more often than a $15 whore changes panties. ;)

Still, based on that, I'd say a single 28 isn't a good fit for this engine... unless you really *want* the wastegate open at idle. :D