Worth Saving?

taj

Dec 30, 2011
Baltimore
Hey all,

Figured I'd make my quick introduction with a thread that could possibly entail either one of two things: A Build Thread, or a Part out!

Car in question is a 1987.5 Model Year/ Red Pearl / 7M-GE / W58. Used to be my father's old car that he valued pretty highly until he was rear-ended in traffic.

Pictures are below:
http://imgur.com/a/ZATz8

Before the impact, the car was mechanically sound with the 7M rebuilt about 14k miles ago. Brand new struts (Tokico's / Pictured) were also planned to be put onto the car.

However that was back in early 2012. Since then the car has been sitting untouched as we've been relatively unsure as to what insurance/court needed for the car and the car was to remain as it was. Recently however, we were given permission to do as we please with the car. With that being said, I thought it might be worthwhile to try and fix the car.

Car was rear ended and subsequently, shoved into the car in front. As a result, these are just some of the major parts that definitely needed to be replaced.

• Core Support
  • Front / Rear Bumper (Possibly Facelifted if more common)
  • Fuel Tank
  • Hood / Hood Latch
  • Passenger Fender
  • Taillights

Overall the drivetrain appears to be very solid as the car continued to run during and after the impact fine. Surprisingly does not leak any fluids and still continues to hold all fluids fine (Should have drained, I know, was unsure as to what we were allowed to do with the car for the time). It appears primarily to be related to body.

So far I've taken off the passenger fender as well as a bit of the front. None of the actual frame appears bent. This applies to the front and rear. However, as shown in the pictures, the core support definitely needs be replaced. To me, replacing the Core Support would be the biggest obstacle behind all of this as well. Primarily due to costs, as well as fabrication work. Anyone here know of a few resources that could sell a core support? Or is the junkyard the best option to try and snag one? Additionally, any ideas as to what one would cost? I've seen parts for sale at Village Toyota, just not sure if it's the best resource. Replacements parts do not have to have matching paint either.

I still need to check the rear latch to access any possible damage there, however from a quick glance, it appears with some finicking from the rear hatch, that the rear hatch would line up perfectly. So far the left side of the hatch appears to be slightly raised. Lines up with the body just fine however.

Either way, just wanted to throw this out there to gauge interest from the community. I'd love to see the thing back on the road for not only the car's perspective, but also for my father as it holds sentimental value for him. However, if costs for parts look as if they could easily total > 1k, then the best bet might be to offload parts back into the community.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Look, if you want to restore the car to its past condition, do it right. It sounds like you really want to restore it for your father, and I say GO FOR IT. Let me tell you this though, if you have a shop do it, don't expect to keep repair bills under 1000 bucks.

For me to have a couple big dents popped out, and the whole back half of the car worked and painted, and the whole car buffed, cost me a little under 3 grand.

With that being said, don't send something to the crusher that holds a TON of sentimental value. Everything can be fixed. Maybe you'll have to save money to do it, but its totally worth it in the end.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Backlash2032;1974526 said:
Look, if you want to restore the car to its past condition, do it right. It sounds like you really want to restore it for your father, and I say GO FOR IT. Let me tell you this though, if you have a shop do it, don't expect to keep repair bills under 1000 bucks.

For me to have a couple big dents popped out, and the whole back half of the car worked and painted, and the whole car buffed, cost me a little under 3 grand.

With that being said, don't send something to the crusher that holds a TON of sentimental value. Everything can be fixed. Maybe you'll have to save money to do it, but its totally worth it in the end.

I have to agree with everything that Backlash said.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
From the pic's it looks damn clean. i say fix it.
Some times people dont know the value of a car until its gone. in my town mk2's and mk3's are one of the rarest cars you will see on the road, not because their's a few of them, or because their always broke down, but because the people that own them value them so dearly they keep them in the garage most of the time.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
So true. Also, the damage doesn't look that bad, although you'll need some frame time to pull that rear panel back into alignment. It would be cheaper than replacing it anyway.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
As mjsn1 said.. you really dont know the value of a car until its gone. I had a 1990 supra, it was my first car. Drove the HELL out of that thing, did a turbo swapped, fixed a ton of the rust, and then finally it got clipped by a PT Cruiser. I couldn't afford to fix it.. ended up reshelling it and selling the old shell. While 100k mile, factory turbo Targa car (old shell was hard top) is SUPER NICE... I still miss the old supra at times. So many memories were had in that car. Even though I only had it for a couple of years.. it made a huge impact on my life. I just hope whoever has it now is fixing it up properly, and not picking it apart and scrapping it. God thats a terrible thought.

That brings me to another point. After you've been with one car for awhile.. it starts to have a personality. It starts to become human. Its weird, but if you think about it, its true. Car guys get sad / cry when they sell their beloved car, and they hear it driving off into the sunset. Why? Because that car was your friend. Its like saying goodbye to a good friend, knowing you'll never be friends with them again. And THAT is what non-car people don't get about us. Don't pull the plug :)

taj

Dec 30, 2011
Baltimore
Thanks again guys for the feedback, definitely want to try to get the car on the road, it's just a matter of costs/budget. That and sourcing parts. To me it seems like the biggest issue is simply finding parts for the thing! :crazy1: Really just looking to find any part suppliers (Mainly Radiator Support) that I may be missing.

Backlash2032;1974526 said:

Definitely don't want to have a shop to do any labor with the exception of welding and definitely comfortable doing all other work other than that. Additionally, definitely not taking anything for scrap with the exception of maybe the hood and passenger side fender and upper core support as they are definitely mangled past the point of repairability. Any old parts would be sold/given back to the community if worst came to worst.

As for the rear, I'll let you guys know once I can get my hands on the thing again and get some more parts off.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
tokico struts are now rare. the company went bankrupt. they are the only replacement for tems compatiable struts unless toyota has some which i doubt are affordable. the car looks clean. is it rust free?

If it has sedimental value there is no question if it is worth it ;) I expect to see the build thread for it soon.

There are plenty of supras being parted out. And lots of good folks to help you with info on how too.

Whats the other cars look like?

taj

Dec 30, 2011
Baltimore
Hey guys, look an update!!

I actually got a good chance over the winter break to get at the main disassembly of parts and such.

Overall the project itself wouldn't be a clean restore. More so just something that would drive, and just generally become some sort of track/drift car. I know the option would probably come across as disappointing to some of the more veteran members, but between me and my father, we both agreed that financially the costs itself would be too high for a kid in college regardless. Even with me and my father dealing with all the mechanical work required, there would still be a good sum of money in cutting, buying, and rewelding new panels in from a shop. Something that I doubt many of you guys would argue against.

And plus a good majority of my funding gets put into my hunk of german metal. (PS. I'm so sorry guys haha). Overall I think the end goal would be just getting the thing back to

The easiest of course was getting the rear tail lights off. The entire housing itself was just cracked and brittle from age and the impact itself. Overall tossing them and keeping all the wiring, and light bulbs was the only real choice in this regard. Thankfully the metal itself was pretty thin. Just simply tugging on it lightly got back into shape. (Note: These pictures are not after the driver's rear taillight housing was straightened out haha)

http://i.imgur.com/W33xo94.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/B92Ml6C.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/W33xo94.jpg
PS. Notice to the right my horribly damaged Upper Core Support to the right. That'll come into play a bit later!

http://i.imgur.com/aPF5GIr.jpg
Stripped the entire "trunk" area of the car. Found this little present. Awesome!! What your looking at the spare tire well (Rear faces the left side of the photograph). Thankfully, other than looking like the remnants Hulk's fingerprints, there wasn't any immediately noticeable or significant holes or liquid present. I'm guessing that the spare took a good bit on the hit fortunately. If the spare wasn't there, I'm sure the damage would have torn the sheet metal itself. Either way, there's looks to be a good bit of rust.

Thankfully the other side was fine as is, no damage there. The hatch itself won't close, however it appears that the same kind of indent that was easy reduced with the driver's taillight housing, could apply here. I figured I'd wait for a more proper tool (Slide hammer) to complete the procedure.

That about covers the progress on the rear pretty much. The front however was a bit more work. There was a very good bit that got extremely mangled and crushed. However, a majority of that was actually easily bolt-off or removable. I plan on uploading more photos of the actual removal process. However, for the time being, the photos are still uploading B|.

The process itself wasn't all that bad, just lots of unbolting, crowbarring to get to various bolts, and more unbolting. The hardest part physically was just drilling out all the spot welds and going at it with a hammer and some Harbor Freight Chisels on the top Core Support/Cross Member metal bracket. (Could someone chime in on the proper name? I've been referring to it at the core suppoer)

http://i.imgur.com/8rff3Dj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LcPUDKx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4GKESVK.jpg
5&6
Notice that these two photos above is the driver's front fender/apron. This is without the top core support member

http://i.imgur.com/CDgMxYM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tL6N66k.jpg
7&8
And these are from the passenger side. Same deal here, no top core support bracket.

From looking at it. It appears that from a purely, get this car running in the most basic perspective the only real parts needed would that said top core support member briefly shown in picture #3. When I get a chance, I'll upload the photo of the entire part.

Overall
If anyone has a core support, I'd gladly take it for cash of course!!
P/N: 91655-40616
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2116286&ukey_assembly=326278

And this is where I've hit a roadbump at the moment really, as far as I know the part is NLA from toyota, and it seems that snagging the actual part either after market or through the forums is simply hard due to the nature of getting this part off, or getting this part individually. Lots of CL sellers would rather sell me their entire shell rather than this singular part haha.

However, that's where I'm hoping the forum will show some sort of jewel!

As you've already guessed, this rebuild is definitely a backburner project itself. If anyone is interested in the e30 build (Not expecting it haha) I can post up a link.

PS: If it appears that this gets enough traffic I'll throw it into the builds area. I'd like to get it running, and throwing some life into the supra community is also nice. I apologize for not being able to put the pictures up directly, apparently Supraforums won't size the images down? Bummer. Also thank you guys for reading this, I hope there is something worthwhile/entertaining for everyone here!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I have the core support if you're interested in coming all the way to VA...which isn't far from Baltimore anyway. It's red....i know it's not close to your color but close enough haha. PM!

taj

Dec 30, 2011
Baltimore
Akito, thanks man! Definitely will need to snag as much off that as I can. Not many people are willing to go through the hassle of getting that, so I thank you for that!