working on custom drag shocks

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
well if some of you don't know; i work at BILSTEIN as a "motorsports shock tech". Basically i build race shocks all day long. My co-worker and I are working on a custom set of drag shocks for the mk3 supra.

These are going to be 1 of a kind and you will not see these anywhere else. Were still playing with valving and trying to get the compression and rebound correct.

today we dyno'ed at set of the stock bilstein shocks and as yuo can see there is a ton of rebound. This is not good for launching. Hopefully i will have a set done next week and i can get them on the car. these will work awesome and the car should hook great.

were going to drop gas pressure, change the bleed and mess with the compression and rebound..

here is a dyno graph of the stock shocks :) :)

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
hey brian, we are doing a full set. the fronts are going to be stiff and the rear will be nice and soft.

i'm going to shoot you a pm. maybe you can you these more than me :)

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
cool, im def in for a set of fronts. Any chance of a spring package too? I would liek something that slams the front as low as possible, yet still "stores" some energy to transfer to the rear. Probably too much to ask for without doing a coil over setup, but i suppose it couldnt hurt to ask. :)

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
ok here is where i think ive been wrong all along.. wouldnt you want a nice hard set onthe rea... and a softer set for the front

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
cruzinbill said:
ok here is where i think ive been wrong all along.. wouldnt you want a nice hard set onthe rea... and a softer set for the front

no

you WANT the weight to trasfer to the rear

otherwise all you get a lots of noise and smoke

and actually a stiff front is not good either. It has to give to transfer to the back.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
im interested.

esp if you could bring the nose down a little. but i wouldnt want too much b/c im not going for the 1984 camaro rake.

are this going to be designed for stock springs or otherwise? wasnt sure if the stroke would effect anything.

thanks!

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Why not just take existing drag shocks for other applications (similar in length, etc. to the Supra) and manufacture mounts for them?

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Brian what car are these going on, I was under the impression they were for MKIII stock suspension setups...are they going your 88?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
hey slow,,, i've been swamped at work since it's race season.. when i got to work on tuesday i'll see about valving up a set real fast...