Word from the wise...

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Be careful if you speed.
I just got my 3rd speeding ticket and it sucks hardcore. Parents are pissed. This is my worst ticket yet, 94 in a 65 = 5points. I feel awful. Thinking about getting an NA Supra I saw for sale at my school. Maybe that will help me out.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
maybe you shouldn't "poop on" your 12.5 psi anymore? :D

that sucks mang. you're lucky though. if you get caught speeding at ANY local cruise spots up here in CT, say bye-bye to your license for a year.

you'll get pullled just driving side by side with somebody even if you're doing the speed limit -- instigating a race or some crap. this is only at the cruise spots on weekends though.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
I don't know if a slower car would help. If you cronically speed you're probably going to do it in whatever car you're in. I know it's lame, but learn to watch your speed, be mature about it and slow down. Don't feel like you have to go faster than everyone else. It doesn't really impress people if you speed. It may be fun for you, but it usually scares the heck out of people, or if they aren't scared they just think you are stupid. You can actually clip along at a good pace if you go faster than about 80-90 percent of traffic, but keep it slower than the other 10-20 percent. Let the other 10-20 grab the cops' attention.

If you persist on speeding learn to scan. You cannot be distracted while going fast. All of your attention must be kept on traffic patterns and awareness of cops. Don't blow through underpasses, cops like to hide on the other side. Watch on ramps, cops love to get on and just nab somebody. Clumps of traffic are huge speed traps. Cops will sit in those surrounded by cars or behind a big truck, and then jump on your tail as you tear by. Finally, don't weave traffic, this just screams, "pull me over please". I have seen many people get nailed for speeding because they were weaving traffic. Don't do it.

With all that said, I hope things work out for you. Good luck bro.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
Furball made a good point in his first sentence. Just because you get a car that accelerates slower doesn't mean you won't still drive at high speeds. An NA Supra will easily reach 90+ MPH, so just take it easy on the throttle, man.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I know from experience that a slower car won't help. I have gotten 0 tickets in the Supra. When I had my 88 Hyundai Excel I got tickets left and right. Same with my 95 Celica ST, I even had to go to the Highway Patrol headquarters and have a 'hearing' to keep my license(5 15+ tickets in less than a year).
Since then, I've stayed sane. I'll still hit 100+ from time to time, just not all the time like I used to. I'm going on 3 years without a ticket and it's been almost 18 months since the wreck(blind wreck in the Celica, no fault).

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
they'll lower it if you just show up to the mitigation hearing. I got both my tickets lowered to <100 just by showing up and admitting to my mistake.

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
Furball said:
I don't know if a slower car would help. If you cronically speed you're probably going to do it in whatever car you're in. I know it's lame, but learn to watch your speed, be mature about it and slow down.

agreed, i havent gotten one ticket with my supra but had previously gotten one with a sentra ( and one on bike), just be careful

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
GrimJack said:
All you need is a bit of rope. Tie it around your right foot, and every now and again pull on the rope! :D

i thought it was tie one end to your foot the other to one of your nuts, then if you go to fast be prepared for pain.:biglaugh:

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Thanks for the advice guys. Most of what was said is stuff I already know, but its good to hear a reminder every now and again. This ticket was at 10:30pm and the cop was in an unmarked Expedition. What kinda scares me is that my tickets have gotten progressively worse. First was 69 in a 50, 2nd was 73 in a 50, 3rd was 94 in a 65. I found a very clean NA Supra at my school for sale. So I'm thinking about buying that and taking the current one of the road and build it while I'm in school. Hopefully when it gets done I will be mature enough to drive it.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
D34DC311 said:
i thought it was tie one end to your foot the other to one of your nuts, then if you go to fast be prepared for pain.:biglaugh:

hahaha good idea. and i agree about the slower car thing. my sister learned to drive in whats now my DD, a 1989 ford areostar, this thing redlines at 4k. she got a 70 in a 40 ticket. and everytime i get into that car i drive the hell outta it because i get the feeling like i have to to just get it to move. and besides, you dont really wanna get rid or your 12.5 psi do you?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not gonna get rid of my current supra. I'm just gonna take it off the road and build it. But I think that if I drove an NA I would slow down some. Just the sound and feel of that turbo is addicting. I think a nice, quiet NA would be good for me.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
aye mate said:
I'm not gonna get rid of my current supra. I'm just gonna take it off the road and build it. But I think that if I drove an NA I would slow down some. Just the sound and feel of that turbo is addicting. I think a nice, quiet NA would be good for me.

ehhhmmm, think again, the NA supra still has power and believe me, like a lot of cars that u feel like ur doing 90, in the NA(and the Turbo) you dont notice your doing 90 till u look down and go o shit its 70 through here. so if you think picking a slower car will help, get something that will scare u to get it past 65. then you will have to slow down cause when u hit 50 it shakes like your entering earths atmospher in the shuttle.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
D34DC311 said:
ehhhmmm, think again, the NA supra still has power and believe me, like a lot of cars that u feel like ur doing 90, in the NA(and the Turbo) you dont notice your doing 90 till u look down and go o shit its 70 through here. so if you think picking a slower car will help, get something that will scare u to get it past 65. then you will have to slow down cause when u hit 50 it shakes like your entering earths atmospher in the shuttle.

Yeah, I have an Explorer if you want to buy it.

Lets see..... 91 Explorer 4X4 193,000 miles. Idles perfect, sunroof leaks like a mofo, door trim falling apart, seats are ripped, brakes are bad, alignment is off, tires are good and beleive me you will notice 65. Its really been a great truck for me though.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Well guys, I have a lead on an 88 NA Supra, Sport package(TEMS, Targa, LSD) Its a 5spd w/ 160k on the clock. Not sure what it needs but the body looks in good shape and it was in a parking lot at school so I'm guessing it runs. I also have a friend that is selling a '96 F150, 4.9L I6, Short Bed, Regular cab, Only thing I am worried about with this truck is that he is a roofer and he's hauled like 8,000lbs of stuff with this truck(on a trailer of course). It runs but it has a clutch problem so it does need some work. Not sure if its 4x4.

I KBB'd the Supra and its at about $1,500 in good condition and $1,180 in fair condition(since I dont know about the motor).I think thats a little high for an NA IMO. The truck I'm confident I could get for less that $800.

L

lanky189

i got 1 ticket in my 78 malibu, 2 in my 73 celica, and not a one in either of my supras. its all about knowing whats around you and having some control of yourself,