'woo' sound around 0 vacuum

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
Hello all,

I have a strange issue that I can't seem to figure out. When I'm cruising, usually in 5th going up slight hills on the highway, and the car begins to build a little boost, i hear a high pitched 'woooo' sound (lol make the highest pitch 'woo' sound you can with your mouth if you're sitting alone, and you're probably replicating it.) I can either hold the throttle there and sustain the sound, or let off and it'll quit, or throttle into positive boost and it'll quit. Took me forever to figure out the problem is pretty consistently related to 0 vacuum level. At first I thought it may be vibration from solid alu mounts or something- a product of metal on metal resonance, sound frequency related.. but I don't think that's it. I picture someone blowing over the mouth of a glass bottle when I hear the sound, so I think it's air turbulence/ resonance inside the intake manifold/ intake system as a whole.. but I have no idea how I might stop it. It doesn't really seem to negatively affect performance or anything for that matter, it's just slightly annoying and I'd like to identify its cause and keep it from happening.

The sound seems to have started occurring once I installed a bosch bpv from a saab 9-3. I'm running a stock rebuilt 7m with a 57 trim ct26, stock 3000 pipe and stock afm and accordian hose, recirculating the bov. Car also has 2.5" hard pipes and upgraded intercooler, apexi intake and 3" downpipe to 2.5" exhaust. Stock turbo elbow. Basically the whole vacuum system is in place and routed as it is stock. No aftermarket boost controller, or electronic management. The car boosts about 10 lbs as a product of simply bolting everything on. Never adjusted the boost levels for fear of being near fuel cut..

Anybody else ever experienced this? Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Aaron

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
That sound is typical of the Bosch bypass valve. Mine did the same exact thing, so I swapped it out for a Turbosmart bypass valve and never heard that dreaded noise again.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
zambini;1823521 said:
The sound seems to have started occurring once I installed a bosch bpv from a saab 9-3.

Ding! I had one for about a week, did the same thing.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
My Bosch doesn't/never made this sound although i believe i have a Porsche Bosch BPV. As I recall there's two Bosch versions people commonly put on our cars, one is from a saab and one from a porsche. The Saab one has always been known to "hoot" or make a "wooo" sound. While the Porsche one just makes a pshh (air rushing) sound. (someone correct me please if im wrong)

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
[video=youtube;9dRWgVo0FHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dRWgVo0FHE&feature=related[/video]Are you sure you didn't get one of these installed by mistake?

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
hahahaha DAMMIT i thought about saying "and no, i dont have whistle tips installed" in the original post! lmfao

so thanks guys, guess it's the bpv.. the sound truly is annoying. i was cruising on the highway the other day and a nice lowered 335i with ccw's pulled up next to me (black on chromes- it was super sexy.) i spooled the turbo a bit and i just hear WOOOOOO bounce off his car.. pretty embarrassing.. then i rolled him pretty bad so i had my pride back. kinda.

edit: think i could modify the valve in some way?
and yes, stupidity comes in many assorted packages.