won't turn over after rebuild....grrrrr

89MK111

89 Turbo Targa modded!!
Dec 31, 2009
Chapmansboro, tn
Ok guys, here's my problem. After 6 months of downtime, and plenty of frustration, I can't get my Supra to turn over when I hit the ignition. The car had a blown head gasket when I purchased it (although i didn't know!) The motor had a fresh rebuild....wiseco forged bottom end, 57 trim turbo, timer, and lots of other goodies. The jackass failed to install a mhg, and opted for a stock on instead...what an idiot!! Well after tearing it back down, and installing a Cometic gasket, it's finally all back together again. One small problem, when i turn the key to start it, the starter doesn't engage!!! I had an "Army Mechanic" help me with the rebuild, (first mistake)....he said he would reassemble the motor for only $200, sounded like a good deal. After 6 weeks of his evening tinkering, it was ready to add coolant. I had to finish the intake myself, and just about everything else had to be redone! Nothing was done right! The coolant leaked out between the head/block when filling up the radiator. I pulled the valve covers back off to find the head was only torqued to around 45lbs....So, after torquing the head correctly, fixing the intake, plugging everything back in, and putting the top back together, it was ready to fire! :) I installed a new battery as well, since it had been sitting. When you try to bump the key, it just doesn't engage the starter. Everything in the car is working..i.e lights, radio, all gauges, etc. What could it possibly be???? It started just fine before the head gasket let go. I did get to put around 100 miles on it before i tore it down, so I know it was a running car...I'm totally baffled!!! HELP PLEASE!!

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
Same thing happend to me, when I took out the old battery before the build it must have tripped the car alarm, when i put in the new battery the car alarm didn't go off but the starter wouldn't engage (from the alarm) So you lock the driver side door, wait a few minutes then unlock it. :)

Hope its that simple for your case!

wterryinftey

Workin on It
Apr 19, 2010
Pell City, Alabama, United States
89MK111;1587917 said:
I had an "Army Mechanic" help me with the rebuild, (first mistake)....

Watch how you say that, Dont group me with an idiot! I am a 62B (light wheeled vehicle mechanic) i actually feel offended on how you said that. you may have dealt with a rouge idiot but not all Army Mechanics are incompetent.