wont stay in first, fairly fresh rebuild...

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
well guys, i rebuild my r154 aproaching a year ago, i have about 8k on the tranny,

and this morning while headin to get a bit to eat and a clutch tool for my mkii,

i got on it a little hard,

first wasn't the gear though.. in third...

any ways, i pulled out of the parking lot, rolling into the throttle started gettin tire hop and shifted to second, second pulled real hard, and tires were starting to hop, shifted to third, pulled wot for about 3 seconds then hit the clutch, upon that i hit a man hole cover and i hear a bang that i thought was the man hole cover.

4 miles down the road i pull up to my turn at the light and the car begins popping out of first.

i had to start off in second, where another mile down the road i make the turn onto my street and try again for first, i was able to get it to go into first once i stoped again and i took off fairly hard to see if it would pop out but it stayed, i thought maybe my shift boot was tight and caused a mis-shift..

when i left to pick up the clutch tool, the car had first when i pulled out, and when i got to the next stop i no longer had first just ground and poped out.

im tring to think what might have happened, first i thought the bolt on the selector shaft broke, but second third fourth and fith still work great..
being the fork and gear hub are connected for first and second, that means all that stuff is good, possible the fork is bent but since im getting lound grinds out of her,

i belive that i either sheared the teeth off first gear syncro or possibly damaged the selector hub..

i have 2 other trannies i can put in to her so down time shouldn't be bad, but i gotta admit this is bothering me...

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Justin727 said:
sounds like it could possibly be 1st gear thrust washer. Ask me how I know.

The clunk was the man hole cover btw

hmmm i guess good news..

i broke a tranny and wasn't dumping the clutch...

hopefully over the week i'll drop it out and swap in the one that was in the car when i bought it..

thanks for the info though.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Poodles said:
or clutch issue... this is cheaper and easier to diagnose, try it first...

clutch disengaages fine, 2-5th work great, there is no noise in tranny other then it pop's out of first..

first is unusable

clutch is a new rps max sport, oh yeah reverse works too..

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
well

went to toyota, and the thrust washer is cheaper but i'll have to press the shaft apart. mark sugested i might have broke the first second fork, / cracked it so it has play in one direction and doesn't in the other..

i figured it was plausable but not likely, but gives me options..

i' guess i'll let this thread die till i pull the housings off and find out what happened.

latter guys.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
first gear will have the most issue with a slightly out of wack clutch...

check it out FIRST before you go pulling the tranny apart only to find out it's fine...

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
While you have the tranny out, chech to see if you can shift it into gear. If not, then take off the tranny housing and have a look. It does not take long to take it apart and see if there is any damage.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Poodles said:
first gear will have the most issue with a slightly out of wack clutch...

check it out FIRST before you go pulling the tranny apart only to find out it's fine...

this isn't a clutch issue.

i cant hold this fucker in gear....
but all other gears work fine.

it has new marlin crawler shifter bushings, good master and slave.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
IJ. said:
My "guess" bent shift fork/broken thrust washer :)

lol atleast i know im on the right track LOL

so far got it narrowed down to a 13 dollar part that i have ti press the shafts apart to fix or a 57 dollar part i can slap into her and have running by next week if i try hard enough..

kinda of funny cause when i heard the noise these were my options i thought of..

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
yeah no kiddin!

any ways i started the tranny swap today, and i found a broken slave cylinder.

i'll take pictures of it tonight, i think this is the cause of the tranny failure.

any wasys it shered away form the slave at the bolt holes.

so i threw a good one in , and she still wont stay in first gear
so since im at a wiring stand still on my mkii 7mgte build im dropin gears