Won't start after replacing turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
I had to remove and reinstall my turbo because of a leaking gasket on Monday. I had not trouble, but now I can't get it to start. After I completed that job on Monday night it took a while to start, but it did after a few minutes of ing. I pulled it into the carport and turned it off. I didn't drive it at all on Tuesday, and Wednesday night I planned to drive it. It wouldn't start after about 15 minutes of ing. I tried again this morning, and it still wouldn't.

I didn't do anything with the fuel lines. It's got oil and water and gas. The spark plugs and wires are all in fine. The EFI fuse is in and not blown. It s very strongly, and it's a brand new battery. Is there something I'm missing, or is there something I need to do to force it to start and get it warmed up and back to normal?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check and make sure your AFM, O2 sensor, and CPS are all plugged in correctly. Check for codes.

Did you happen to clean the inside of the AFM and sensor?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Paul:
Check to make sure you didn't crush or rip any wires off the water temp sensors (notice plurar) when you reinstalled the turbo.

Also, check to make sure you didn't forget a rag or paper towel in the turbo (in case you stuffed on in there to keep debris out when it was off the car).

Pull the codes, and report back what you find.

:)

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Jon,

Where is the water temp sensor? I'm unfamiliar with that.

Ok, I got error code #12:

RPM Signal
Diagnosis
--No "NE" or "G" signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been ed.

--Trouble Area
Distributor, or CPS, circuit
Distributor or CPS
Starter signal circuit
ECU

and #51:

Switch Signal
Diagnosis
--No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.

--Trouble Area
A/C switch circuit
A/C switch
A/C amplifier
Throttle position sensor circuit
Throttle position sensor
ECU

Does this help at all? It doesn't help me much. I never touched the TPS, CPS, distributor or the ECU.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
As the TRSM says, Code 12 is the CPS...this is likely the cause of your no-start. Check the wiring and connection to the CPS. The TRSM has a procedure to test resistance for the CPS as well. It's likely the wiring though...wiggle the connector and check the wiring going across the front top of the motor.

Code 51 is the TPS...if you had your foot on the gas or the A/C button was on, you will get a code 51...this is normal. Otherwise, your TPS needs to be adjusted...the TRSM will tell you how to do this as well. A code 51 will not prevent the car from starting.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Ok, I think we're on the right track. I found these two wires that don't go anywhere. Any guidance on where they go? They're just hanging loose below the AFM. They apparently come from the CPS. I could not find a easy to read wiring diagram on the CPS in the TSRM or my Haynes book.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The connector on the CPS is on top...4 wires...the wiring harness side is Red, Blue, Black, and Yellow.

I don't think those are to the CPS...I think ^^^ he's correct...a sensor on the water neck or thermo housing.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
Those go onto the two little wingle wire sensor deals on your T-stat housing. not 100% on what either is, however.

Ok, I found the 90 degree connector on the T-stat housing and there are two wires that go into that. It's an insulated connector with a wire lock on it. It connects to a yellow receptacle on the T-stat housing. If that's what you're talking about, those are not the ones that are hanging loose because they're connected fine. The two wires do come from the main snake of wires that come across the top of the engine. They just come down the snake and end up under the AFM with no destination. Can you give me any more guidance on where you're thinking they might go? I think one is black, and the other is red and blue?

Also, when I try to the car, the needles move expect for the tachometer. It stays completely still on 0.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...take a look at this pic. The connector on the CPS, does it have 4 harness wires (Red, Black, Yellow, and Blue) going to the connector that mates to the one in the pic?

CPS Cover 01.jpg

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
jdub said:
Ok...take a look at this pic. The connector on the CPS, does it have 4 harness wires (Red, Black, Yellow, and Blue) going to the connector that mates to the one in the pic?

I can't see the picture. I'll send you a PM with my email so you can send it to me directly.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
All 4 wires are there and connected securely on both sides of the CPS harness, so it doesn't seem like that is the problem.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Schmutzler said:
All 4 wires are there and connected securely on both sides of the CPS harness, so it doesn't seem like that is the problem.

Ok...take a good close look at the wiring both going into the CPS and going across the top of the motor. Wiggle it around some and try a start.

If the loose wire is off the AFM, the car should still start...you can start it without the AFM connected at all. Runs like crap, but it will start.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
jdub said:
Ok...take a good close look at the wiring both going into the CPS and going across the top of the motor. Wiggle it around some and try a start.

If the loose wire is off the AFM, the car should still start...you can start it without the AFM connected at all. Runs like crap, but it will start.

Ok, I'll give that a try this morning and report back.

By the way, in my original post, I did say that the car did start and I pulled it under the carport fine. At that point the hood was closed, and I never opened it again until I tried to start it again. So, none of those wires could have been disconnected after I ran it. But some may have gotten jostled I guess.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Schmutzler said:
Ok, I'll give that a try this morning and report back.

By the way, in my original post, I did say that the car did start and I pulled it under the carport fine. At that point the hood was closed, and I never opened it again until I tried to start it again. So, none of those wires could have been disconnected after I ran it. But some may have gotten jostled I guess.

I understand...when my car was doing this (same code too), it did it at random. It even cut off sometimes while running. It's not the connector, it's the wires leading to it...In my case, it was the ones from the connector going inside the CPS.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Well, as usual, you SM guys were right. I jiggled all of the wires around CPS really well, and it started right up. I noticed the difference as soon as I started ing it, and the tach started jumping. It wasn't doing that before. I guess the next thing is to hopefully figure out what it was and maybe fix it. I imagine that would be more difficult for me to do myself. It may take Toyota to do that. I really wish I knew what those two extra wires are for...

Thanks for your help, guys.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
While were on the topic, can someone tell me what color from the engine harness wires match what color on the CPS? My connector broke off and i lost it, So im just going to wire it up with an electronics 4 pin connector like for a computer. But i dont know which color goes to what. Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.