wont start after rebuild

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
ok, its a 91 turbo 5spd.

after redoing a starting to fail head gasket, rebuilt with ARPs and HKS stopper, everything else on the car is stock. the timing is set right, the ignition timing is right (checked by gun) and is not throwing codes. checked manually for spark, its getting spark, and checked for fuel, fuel is good in the rail. the car will crank over, but is not starting, the only thing that seems like is going wrong is that it seems to be getting to much fuel. ive checked just about everything down the TSRM, but still cant find anything wrong.

any help would be nice. thanks guys.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
yes, did a compression test, verration from high to low was only 7PIS.
No.1 - 178
No.2 - 173
No.3 - 175
No.4 - 176
No.5 - 171
No.6 - 176

and yes, did it with a timing gun, put it in diagnostic mode just like the guide says to do.

ive tryed just holding it down and cranking, and it is blowing white smoke out the tail, so there is fuel in the system that isnt been burnt, in thinking that it was getting flooded, checked the cold start injector, testing within regs, and also tested the water temp sensor. also manually tested to make sure the fuel pump is working, it is. rechecked the ISC, works fine.

any idea guys?

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
yup, pulled it up to TDC at the crank, then installed it with the drilled hole at the grove in the CPS, and checked what i can from the CPS, i dont have wires long enough to check all the way back to the ecu, witch i would like to do, but i do know that they arnt shorted out to the body and all..

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
san supra;1578144 said:
maybe im confused but doesnt the motor have to idle at like 750rpm to check with the timing light?
just tryin to help

Yes it does - I bet timing is off. ;)

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
well, thats why i just dont get, cause when i bring it up to TDC (crank all the way up at 0), and making sure that both the cams are strait up.. the two little marks on the cam gears, and the cams them selfs in the middle holes. pulling the CPS off. and making sure its drilled hole is aligned with the notch on the housing..
so if thats now where the timing is sappose to be, then i dont know.. ohh i try to place the cps about center to begin with, and while my brother is cranking, i was slowly advancing and retarding the timing to see if it would catch, and nothing..

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Are the cam gear pins in both center holes on gear and cam?

Oh and white smoke is either condensation or coolant. Unburnt fuel is black, oil is blue.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
i would do the cps over. Pull the #1 spark plug out and stick a long screwdriver or something similar in the cylinder to make sure your on the right stroke at TDC. IIRC the marks on the crank pulley could be lined up and not be at TDC. Try it, what can you lose.

Did you replace injectors or are you running stock?

mad0314

Apr 27, 2010
Notown
To make sure youre on the right stroke without pulling the cam cover off, you can place a paper towel over the spark plug hole and turn the crank. Both the intake and exhaust valves are closed during compression/power strokes so it will blow air out of the spark plug hole and blow at the paper towel. Then set it to TDC at the crank once you know youre on the right stroke.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
update, found out what was wrong, one of the pins on the ECU connector back off, it was the NE line for the CPS was shorting out in the wiring harness, got it fixed, runs like a charm.