wont pass 2k rpm?

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
ive got an 89t. problem is when i drive it, it wont go pass 2000 rpm. im not sure what it is. i was told it can possible be the tps, cps, or afm. anyone know how i can diagnose the problem and fix it? any help is much appreciated. thank you

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
True, but i was actually able to drive mine without an afm, albeit at low rpm.
But yes- timing/ tps is a good place to start.

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
supraguy@aol;1969714 said:

will do bro, checking that now. thank you

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
IndigoMKII;1969807 said:
Bit off topic but really? I can unplug my afm and barely get it to rev over 1k.

yea actually i drove mine unplugged by accident and my car was able to go a little over 1500. but back to the problem. how would i go about diagnosing the tps. i tried to replace with my older motor from an pre89 but the spin on it if u were to say was different if not opposite? or should i even be replacing it? the engine thats in the car right now came from a auto trans supra. i wouldnt think it would cause a problem or would it?

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
i checked and all it does is blink repetatively with no gaps. i cant pass 60 and i was jus like uhhh?? why am i counting so much haha

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
super51fan;1969822 said:
Have you checked for codes yet? That should be first step.

i just did and it just kept on blinking without gaps. i already counted pass 50 then i was like the fuck?? any idea what that is? it happened to me once but never looked up on it

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
ill cuhz;1969828 said:
i just did and it just kept on blinking without gaps. i already counted pass 50 then i was like the fuck?? any idea what that is? it happened to me once but never looked up on it

nvm actually didnt turn the car on lol

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
supraguy@aol;1969714 said:

how would i go about fixing the tps, i tried to replace it with an older one from a pre89 but the spin on it was different.

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
IndigoMKII;1971313 said:
Pre 89 and post 89 are two different animals. Try getting one for your specific year and installing it then calibrating it.

cool thanks bro, would it throw it off having a diff tps, because the engine i swapped in was from a 91 turbo with the original tps nd my car is a 89 turbo so would that create a problem? and by calibrating it i do that by actually adjusting the tps itself when screwed on twisted left or right? and one more question, the car idles just a little over 1k, probaly around 1100. when i give it some gas or throttle it kinda hesitates and almost dies out for a sec then comes back. and when the rpms drop after revving it, it almost seems to die out, and at times it may die out. is this also a problem due to the tps?