Won't maintain idle/keeps dropping then stalls.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
Hey guys, need some help here. After simply replacing valve cover gaskets and cps o-ring, car will not idle/run without stalling. Starts right up but if you let it sit for a minute or two the idle will keep dropping slowly and then stall. Went through and checked for vac leaks in lines and gaskets. Checked and adjusted tps per tsrm, checked iscv, sensors, all good. Tried new plugs properly gapped today with no improvement. Still no codes have popped up either. Decided to check resistance on the coils and I think this might be where my problem is. According to the tsrm cold resistance in the coils is between .3-.5 ohms, I got a reading of .8ohms on all 3 coils. Anyone know if this would cause a condition like this. Also if I hold the RPM's around 3-3,500 you can hear it sputter/break up quite a bit. I'm thinking I just need some good coils, but I'm open to possible suggestions. Still running stock electronics/fuel also. Thanks.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Nick M;2013446 said:
Recheck the time of the CPS, since your car runs bad after removing and reinstalling.
This was the first thing I checked. Noticed the belt had skipped a tooth on the exhaust side. So I fixed that and made sure base/mechanical timing was spot on with #1 cyl @ tdc. So all that is good. I am really hoping that I at this point I have narrowed it down to the coils. Just not 100% sure on that.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SupraChrisMk3;2013428 said:
After simply replacing valve cover gaskets and cps o-ring, car will not idle/run without stalling. Starts right up but if you let it sit for a minute or two the idle will keep dropping slowly and then stall.

Rich is easy to light, even when out of time by a bit. That is why there is cold start enrichment.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Nick M;2013531 said:
Rich is easy to light, even when out of time by a bit. That is why there is cold start enrichment.
Not quite sure what you're getting at. Timing is fine, I have double checked that. Are you trying to say the cold start circuit could be the problem? I still have no trouble codes though.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
jetjock;2013549 said:
Interesting. So it ran fine before all this while a tooth off? Or did it magically skip the tooth when you had the CPS out...which has nothing to do with the belt or how the CPS goes back in.
I guess I didn't specify but it was the exhaust cam gear that was a tooth off, not the cps itself. Not saying it ran perfectly before, but it would hold idle most of the time and was at least drivable. I noticed it was a tooth off when I double checked everything to set the timing after I had replaced the seals. So I just slid the timing belt off and made sure the cams were in the right position before setting the base timing. I had a feeling the belt might have slipped because the exhaust would pop a lot more often than usual between shifts. But as far as my question about the coils and the resistance being out of spec, could that cause the situation that I'm having?