WIX oil filters

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
I put a K&N oil filter in to a Fram box and ended up spending only $2 dollars. I also did this with a drop in K&N filter.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Clied;1094748 said:
I put a K&N oil filter in to a Fram box and ended up spending only $2 dollars. I also did this with a drop in K&N filter.

So, you're proud of that huh. :3d_frown:

Stealing really has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Clied;1094748 said:

Sorry assed thief. Hope you motor blows up because of those filters.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Clied;1094748 said:

Wow you're cool.
If i were an admin., id ban you for a week just for being such a tool.:nono:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Clied;1094748 said:

Thanks for self identifying yourself as a lowlife piece of shit. It's a rare moment that someone comes forward and just says to the world "Hey! Look at the scumbag that I am!"

Most people have to learn by trial and error, and by getting screwed by pieces of human refuse like you.

It's nice to see that you announce it for everyone to see.

Thanks again lowlife, we really appreciate it.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
damn, i bought a k&n filter and got home, opened it up and the damn thing was a fram! i used it as a wheel chock

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Wix makes nearly every napa filter for napa. We run Napa gold on evey piece of heavy machinery I own in my excavating business that I own with my brother. Never had a problem with a napa gold on any of the cat diesel motors. In fact, Napa gold or Wix, is the only other filter, other than OEM CAT, that Caterpiller will let you put on their motors with out penalty to the warrantee. Of course, I don't know who makes CAT filters, but I have cut them apart and NAPA and Wix are every bit as good on the large filter end of the industry. I have a machine at work that cost as much as most peoples houses, and I trust a NAPA Gold on it. I will say that I had a filter blow apart, but when anything is mass produced, you will have a bad apple now and then. I run an OEM Toyota on my supra and never had a problem with them.

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
I didn't mention it to make it seem like I was proud of it. I was young at the time and stupid enough to actually risk $10 bucks. I use to hang out with a bunch of Honda dudes who would do this sort of stuff all the time and I guess from them, stupidity got to me. I'll admit I am a POS scumbag for doing it, I don't think I'm "cool", and I've grown up from being a douche bag thief. I know with what I brought up has nothing to do with the topic either and if I could go back I wouldn't have mentioned it at all. Reason I'm even typing a reply to this is because I don't want you guys to think of me that way (even though I'm not even really known on the forums). Delete my post, Ban me or do what ever. I just wanted to get my word on thats not who I am. I didn't think with what I said would be taken so serious but obviously it was. I'm really sorry for offending some of you guys with my idiotic post.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
jdub;1094693 said:
Quick - A Wix is not cheap...I've cut the darn things apart...comparing it to a Fram is comparing an apple to an orange. At least they make their own filter...K&N and Mobil 1 are Champion Labs filters. Might want to take a look at the company K&N and Mobil 1 keep before you call a Wix cheap. ;)

Like I said, if you're worried about a filter bursting, quit screwing around with off-the-shelf stuff and get a C&M filter:
www.cmfilters.com

Jdub they don't hold up to claimed burst rates. They may filter well but hell in cold weather they may fail if you get a spike in oil pressure on cold starts. K&N has a nice sturdy metal lip around the rubber seal and also does not burst under pressure.

If they claim 300psi burst rate they should at least hold up to 125-145psi in the winter. As I mentioned they may filter well, but if they cant take the pressure IMHO who cares.

I will definitely look in to the suggestion JDub. Thanks for the heads up!

As far as who makes what filter. You yourself have reported that K&N, and Mobile 1 filters are fine. If I wanted to get a filter made to my specifiaction, and paid a company like champion labs to manufacture this, in the end does it matter who makes them if they are made superiorly?

I have found many companies farm out products, and label their name to them to save cost of manufcturing.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Clied;1094748 said:

Man that there is just plain dissapointing.....:nono:

OT: Been using Moroso heavy case filters for awhile no probs even at 100psi.

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
I'm so used to my diesel that I was horrified at the post of installing a dry filter then starting the engine. Then I remembered they are horizontally mounted.

I use fleetguard(oem) on my cummins, and oem on my nissan. Used to use puralator and wix on my toyotas

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I have never been able to get the Wix 51515 (Ford filter) to fit into my turbo supra without getting extremely creative (Ie: jacking the motor up). The Wix 51348 is a good filter and that's what I've been running since I got this engine back in the car. Best place to find wix filters: Napa Auto Parts. They sell them as the "Napa Gold" P/N: 1348 and "Napa Pro Select" P/N: 21348

The golds are the first line black filters, and the pro selects are the second line white filters. If you can't find a Napa Auto Parts, Checker's/Schuck's/Kragen (now known as O'Reilly - Forbes) can order them.

Fram filters are absolute garbage IMO, they don't call it "The orange can of death" for nothing.