Wiring RC injectors

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I just got my 550cc injectors, and seeing as I have a brand new harness, I'm not a huge fan of cutting it up and soldering. I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to disassemble the clip for the RC's, remove the clips from the OEM harness, crimp new pins onto the wires, and re-pin the RC clips? If anybody has done this or if there is a how to on this site, or if there are any problems with doing it this way, I would appreciate any feedback. I tried searching and I came up with nothing.
-AM3

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I'm not sure of any way to really do that. You could sell the RC 550's and get Denso 550's. They should be a direct fit.

I know that's not answering the question, but it is another alternative to hacking up a brand new harness

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
I would use them if you didn't want to cut your harness, I was going to suggest it but you found them on your own.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
bmoss85;1475069 said:
I would use them if you didn't want to cut your harness, I was going to suggest it but you found them on your own.
If it was my old harness, I would have cut it, but I sold it to Moy, and I have a brand new OEM harness. Needless to say, I don't want to cut it, lol.
-AM3

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Seems like a waste of $120 to me. However, if you got the cash then go for it. Makes for an easy plug and play solution.

Btw, I run low impedence ND's out of an 88 RX-7 and they are not plug and play. I had to splice in the plugs. I think only the high impedence ND's are PnP.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Moy;1475085 said:
Oh, that harness turned out to be good btw. No problems with it :)
What was the problem with the car? It was a no start, right?
MarkIII4Me;1475095 said:
Seems like a waste of $120 to me. However, if you got the cash then go for it. Makes for an easy plug and play solution.

Btw, I run low impedence ND's out of an 88 RX-7 and they are not plug and play. I had to splice in the plugs. I think only the high impedence ND's are PnP.
I found a set for about $100, which is still a a bit steep, but considering that my brand new harness has a dealer cost of about $750 with tax, I'd rather spend an extra $100 than cut it. If it was my old original harness, I would care less.
-AM3

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
www.ballengermotorsports.com

they sell the pins and connector bodies separate for the rc injectors. they are bosch ev1 clips iirc. head over to the electrical section and look for the crimper thread. I link a reasonably priced crimper which does a decent job at crimping the open barrel terminals.

edit: injector clips http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/109_175/products_id/943
crimping tool: http://www.delcity.net/store/search/p_714008.h_715344.a_1.t_1.n_y

and if you ever want to go back to stock, you just need to crimp these on to the existing wires:
(near the bottom of the page)http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SM-MT/sm-mt.html

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Another MkIII;1475125 said:
What was the problem with the car? It was a no start, right?

I found a set for about $100, which is still a a bit steep, but considering that my brand new harness has a dealer cost of about $750 with tax, I'd rather spend an extra $100 than cut it. If it was my old original harness, I would care less.
-AM3

It was something to do with an improper voltage between the TPS and TCCS. The harness was not installed correctly or something like that

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Another MkIII;1475125 said:
-AM3

yikes, what year is your car? 6 months ago I picked up my harness (89, 5sp,non-cali spec)for $425.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Another MkIII;1475064 said:
While searching for Denso injectors, I found these. http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2282
This should work, right?
-AM3

I have used those. They work ok, although I had trouble making a few of them click when fully inserted. They are pretty tight though but can be pulled apart if they wont "click in". They are also nice since you get a little longer wires out of it which can help since you need to rotate the injectors so the plugs are pointing down and not up. I also had to go with an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator since rotating the injectors makes it impossible to retain the stock fuel return. If you don't want to rotate the injectors you can notch the fuel rail where the plugs meet the rail.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
so the pins are different between the rc and stock so you cant just repin and swap connectors correct?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Kristian_Wraae;1475175 said:
I have used those. They work ok, although I had trouble making a few of them click when fully inserted. They are pretty tight though but can be pulled apart if they wont "click in". They are also nice since you get a little longer wires out of it which can help since you need to rotate the injectors so the plugs are pointing down and not up. I also had to go with an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator since rotating the injectors makes it impossible to retain the stock fuel return. If you don't want to rotate the injectors you can notch the fuel rail where the plugs meet the rail.

87-88 turbo 5 spd iirc

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
to add to my last post, if you de-pin the injector clips, you only end up cutting off ~1/4" of wire with the terminal. Strip the wire 1/4" and crimp on the new terminal. The loss of wire is virtually nothing.

If you're planning on keeping RC-style injectors on the car for the rest of its life, the cut and crimp is by far the best/cleanest way to go.