Wiring Gurus: Shielding on KNK, CPS, and OX wires

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hey guys, I'm rebuilding my harness and I'm choosing the shielding material for my knock sensors, CPS wires and OX sensor. I want a good effective solution and I've found a few options. Mainly metal braid, conductive nylon and heatshrink tubing. The heatshrink tubing tends to be most expensive at nearly $100 for my desired lengths. Metal braid is the cheapest and nylon comes in the middle.

This one really stuck out:
http://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=CN

CN_appl1.jpg

It's an 11 mil carbonized Nylon® monofilament yarn. Is this suitable for this type of application? Or should I be looking at standard metal braid? I've never dealt with custom wire shielding before so any thoughts are appreciated. I know some people will use a coax cable for the knock sensors, but I'm not sure that's the best way to do it. I'm using MIL 22759-16 wire and would like all the conductors to be rated for 150-200C, as the tefzel is.

Thanks!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
you can make you own

with a long tube of shink wrap and some spare wire

take a strip of wire strip it clean wrap that wire around another jacketed wire slip over shink wrap heat and let her shink down and leav a tail to ground to earth

simple and easy

if ya can't get some to easy

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jetjock;1818137 said:

kotu100;1818254 said:
how flexible is that 27500?
I have a problem with my wires breaking and would like some more flexibility.

Jetjock, this is my concern with the jacketed, insulated wire. I plan on snaking the wire around the bay a good amount. Do you know if 20 awg 27500 would be flexible enough to act like regular 16 awg 22759?

NashMan;1818398 said:
you can make you own

with a long tube of shink wrap and some spare wire

take a strip of wire strip it clean wrap that wire around another jacketed wire slip over shink wrap heat and let her shink down and leav a tail to ground to earth

simple and easy

if ya can't get some to easy

That's an idea, but I'm going for super clean and classy. That might work and it'd be cheap, but I'd rather do something a bit more professional.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Thanks JJ. I'm ordering up some shielded wire now. Thanks to the info provided by you, Figgie, Ron R, and a few other electrical gurus I've been able to learn a ton about wiring and significantly improve the wiring in my car.

Without the info posted on SM, I'd have been stuck just trying to find a reasonable used harness and still dealing with wiring gremlins. Guess what I'm saying is the help and education is appreciated. :)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC