wiring back in the stock 02

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So I am having no luck finding a 02 sensor before tomorrow so i think I'm just going to hard wire my old one into the harness but i need some help figuring out what wire goes were.

I have a 89 turbo grey plug ecu from California.

Its has a newer harness witch I believe came from a non Calif car. But my 02 sensor is from a Calif car.

The 02 sensor has 3 wires one blue and two black

Can someone please tell witch color wires on the harness side each one goes too.

Also do the 2 black wires have the same function?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Check them for continuity to ground. My guess is that the black ones will be very low resistance to ground, and that the other will be lowish resistance (12-20 ohms) to ground. (Ground being the threads on the sensor). As I understand it, the knock sensor is really a microphone with a narrow bandpass filter to get the specific frequency associated with knock. This would be consistent with that type of circuit, though I've heard varying reports of what the static circuit resistance is. EWD shows the signal wire as white, but like that means anything for a shielded wire...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dan_Gyoba;1849102 said:
Check them for continuity to ground. My guess is that the black ones will be very low resistance to ground, and that the other will be lowish resistance (12-20 ohms) to ground. (Ground being the threads on the sensor). As I understand it, the knock sensor is really a microphone with a narrow bandpass filter to get the specific frequency associated with knock. This would be consistent with that type of circuit, though I've heard varying reports of what the static circuit resistance is. EWD shows the signal wire as white, but like that means anything for a shielded wire...
He's talking about an 02 sensor Dan...

Usually colour = signal.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The heater element is just that. An element. I don't think that polarity is at all important in that. There's an ECU pin for heat, and the other side goes to the wire harness (Brown/red, IIRC) The online TEWD at CygnusX1 should have the pinout of the connector.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Dan- to tell Yup the truth with the tewd its like looking at a alien Language to me lol. But I will see what I can conclude.

David- ill take you up on that more then likely but still looking for a solution to try and get this thing to the strip tonight. This is the last thing left. Car starts and lives again :) for now lol.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
The heater wires will be black, polarity doesnt matter. Connect the signal wire (mine was blue) to the signal wire in the harness (will be shielded) then connect the two heater wires to the other two wires in the harness (mine were pink)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Just took a peek at the stock connector on the one in the garage. The pins are in a narrow triangle, with the 2 black ones being side by side, and the blue one being in the middle opposite. The one that I have has the blue wire broken. I was going to solder it back together, but I don't really need it currently.