Wiper Issue

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
OK i have done some searching on here and cannot pin point my issue. Here goes..... I get no power from the wiper motor front nor rear, i have read the TSRM and i have checked the fuse and it is good. Would the wiper control module have anything to do with my wiper motor getting power front and back? Is the wiper control module the wiper relay? Or is there another relay somewhere else i can check?

Please any help would be appreciated

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The rear wiper relay and motor are are together. The front wiper relay is up by the passenger kick panel. A fault in one would not stop the other from operating. Both could be bad, but there are other more likely possibilities. I would test for 12v at the connector for the front wiper motor. It's pin 4 and it has an unswitched line to the 20A WIPER fuse. Turn the ignition to ON and test for 12v. If there is not 12v then you need to go to the 20A WIPER fuse and check for 12v there.

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Dirgle;1953317 said:
The rear wiper relay and motor are are together. The front wiper relay is up by the passenger kick panel. A fault in one would not stop the other from operating. Both could be bad, but there are other more likely possibilities. I would test for 12v at the connector for the front wiper motor. It's pin 4 and it has an switched line to the 20A WIPER fuse. Turn the ignition to ON and test for 12v. If there is not 12v then you need to go to the 20A WIPER fuse and check for 12v there.

I am getting 12v from the connector, and the 20A fuse i tested is good. Is the relay the control module? or is there a relay like the green start relay supposed to be there?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I mentioned the fuse because even if the fuse is good you might not be getting 12v to the fuse. The test just confirmed you are so that's good. The relay looks more like what you are thinking of as a control module for the front wipers, on the rear it's attached right to the motor. Are you having any other electrical issues? is this a new problem? Have you changed, or done anything recently to your car?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
About the only thing the two systems have in common are the fuse (just rip the damn thing out and replace/inspect/ohm it out) and that there controls are both on the same stalk and wiring harness.

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Dirgle;1953384 said:
I mentioned the fuse because even if the fuse is good you might not be getting 12v to the fuse. The test just confirmed you are so that's good. The relay looks more like what you are thinking of as a control module for the front wipers, on the rear it's attached right to the motor. Are you having any other electrical issues? is this a new problem? Have you changed, or done anything recently to your car?

no electrical issue, and this problem was there when i bought the car i have just started my list of issues and trying to sort them out. Nothing has changed. I just thought the wiper control module was different from a wiper relay. I am going to try a motor. Thanks for you input.

Poodles;1953388 said:
About the only thing the two systems have in common are the fuse (just rip the damn thing out and replace/inspect/ohm it out) and that there controls are both on the same stalk and wiring harness.

thanks i am looking into this as well

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The wiper system is pretty simple. There are only a handful of things that could be wrong. Even less when you consider what circuits are shared by both front and rear wipers.

We verified that the system has power by checking pin 4 at the motor.

It's unlikely any of the grounds are bad as you are not experiencing any other electrical trouble. honestly the only other thing shared by the two systems is the connector for the stalk switches. I would look near the steering column from underneath and make sure the connector is still connected.

While I don't believe there is anything wrong with the front motor, you can test it by supplying 12v to pin 1 on the motor side of this connector.