winter temps making transmission noisey?

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
could it be the could making my transmission sound like a race car transmission. like making the gear oil thicker causing it to whine in the first three gears, and its also been making these clunking sounds ever since i welded the diff and drifted it with the diff welded. could i have broken something?? and if so, what could it be that i have been driving it for well over a month and half with the clunking noises?

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Well....foolish is what I will say !!!
Welding the gears in your diff???? You just ruined the diff, and possibly the trans. $$$ wasted.
I will say no more.

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
mrnickleye said:
Well....foolish is what I will say !!!
Welding the gears in your diff???? You just ruined the diff, and possibly the trans. $$$ wasted.
I will say no more.
thanks for all your help. i know of another guy who welded his diff and his transmission is fine and his cressida has a 7mgte in it so he has more power too. and yes he is running a w58 not a r154.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
is the clunking sound coming from the shifter? or is it coming from the rear diff?

the whine could me ur low in fluid.

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
D34DC311 said:
is the clunking sound coming from the shifter? or is it coming from the rear diff?

the whine could me ur low in fluid.
in the shifter area and it doesnt do it in 4th gear.

and where do i add the gear oil? i was looking for a plug but didnt seem to see one. i might have over looked it though.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
Toycoma said:
in the shifter area and it doesnt do it in 4th gear.

and where do i add the gear oil? i was looking for a plug but didnt seem to see one. i might have over looked it though.

most people find it easiest to remove the shifter and just add the fluid into the transmission.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
robbo185 said:
most people find it easiest to remove the shifter and just add the fluid into the transmission.

yes its easier but you dont know how much to put in... the plug is on the passenger side of the transmission on the side closer to the back end of the tranny... you know when to stop adding because the gear oil will start coming out of the hole... i'd recommend drain and fill while you're under there and use quality gear oil... i recently did it and used lucas 80w90 heavy duty... its not the easiest task to get the oil in there but your local auto shop should have a little pump that you screw right on to the top of the gear oil bottle and put the end of the tube in the hole... raise the car and pump away... good luck

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
xarewhyayen said:
yes its easier but you dont know how much to put in... the plug is on the passenger side of the transmission on the side closer to the back end of the tranny... you know when to stop adding because the gear oil will start coming out of the hole... i'd recommend drain and fill while you're under there and use quality gear oil... i recently did it and used lucas 80w90 heavy duty... its not the easiest task to get the oil in there but your local auto shop should have a little pump that you screw right on to the top of the gear oil bottle and put the end of the tube in the hole... raise the car and pump away... good luck
is it before where the speedo cable goes on or behind it?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
its something like 3 quarts for the w58, CHECK THE FRICKEN TSRM!! :nono: :nono: :nono:

drain the old oil, and add the right amount through the shifter hole.

Toycoma

Four Door Drifter
Apr 2, 2005
new jersey
lagged said:
its something like 3 quarts for the w58, CHECK THE FRICKEN TSRM!! :nono: :nono: :nono:

drain the old oil, and add the right amount through the shifter hole.
i just have to hope i can get the shifter off throught the hole in the cressida. i could always cut it bigger.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
^^ i wont advise you fill it through the shifter hole.
remove the nut off the tranny and pump it in, Its a bitch to do because ur arm gets warn out, but its the right way too.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
D34DC311 said:
^^ i wont advise you fill it through the shifter hole.
remove the nut off the tranny and pump it in, Its a bitch to do because ur arm gets warn out, but its the right way too.

why wouldnt you advise that he fill it through the shifter hole? which ever way is easier, either the regular filler hole, or the shifter hole is fine. there is no reason why its a bad idea to do it through the shifter hole.

again, WHICHEVER WAY IS EASIER FOR YOU.