Window trim?

Hadleyhaha

Feb 21, 2014
Fort Lauderdale Florida
What do you guys do about replacing the metal trim on the windshield/all windows. all of my plastic that is on top of the metal trim is chipping away and it looks horrible to me. Is this something toyota still stocks or is there am alternative to cleaning up those trim pices with something else?
I found a thread on supra forums about universal window seal but that looks like it would only work for the windshield. And all my weather stripping is missing in my hatch area.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
The trim pieces are indeed still available (for some of the windows and glass in any case) from dealerships, though as other posters noted it's not cheap. An alternative that some owners use is to strip all the coating off their existing trim pieces and then paint the trim.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I posted this in the "What did you do to your Supra today?" thread yesterday. This may be a viable option for some of your trim pieces. It would definitely be a lot cheaper than toyota.

Silver MK3;1995711 said:
I didn't do anything big today, but I did vinyl wrap my windshield corner trim pieces. Ever since I realized that they were black from the factory and not silver it has bothered me because I pay attention to little details. I ordered some gloss black 3M vinyl wrap about two weeks ago and got around to it today. I basically cut a piece big enough to cover the whole piece and wrapped the surrounding trim and paint with masking tape. Then I slowly peeled the backing off the vinyl and applied it to the trim using a hair dryer to make the vinyl more pliable. Once I got all the corners worked and everything smoothed out I used an X-acto knife and cut off the excess. I think it came out pretty good. It has a factory appearance to it and matches the OEM trim perfectly.

Before: I'm sure all of you guys know what this looks like, for some reason it seems like all Supras have lost the black coating on these particular parts over the years no matter how well kept they were.

After:

Hadleyhaha

Feb 21, 2014
Fort Lauderdale Florida
1986.5supra_kid;1995842 said:
bump for same question

Silver MK3;1995860 said:
I posted this in the "What did you do to your Supra today?" thread yesterday. This may be a viable option for some of your trim pieces. It would definitely be a lot cheaper than toyota.
Thanks for input guys! I'm gonna try the wrap on the windows and I'm gonna have a windshield shop put in a universal wearer strip on the windshield

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hadleyhaha;1995863 said:
Thanks for input guys! I'm gonna try the wrap on the windows and I'm gonna have a windshield shop put in a universal wearer strip on the windshield

It can't hurt to try. I paid $17 for a 5x1ft roll of the wrap. Just take your time and don't rush it and it should come out good.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hadleyhaha;1995848 said:
I'm assuming you used a toyota dealership? That's seeming to be the route I'm gonna have to go if they can get ahold of this stuff.

That is the only route I know of. Buy online and save at least 25%. To give you an example, the lower rear window exterior trim piece is $94.64 when I bought it last year (p/n 75575-14170). Other pieces are similar. Haven't hit anything discontinued yet, but I'm sure that day is coming.

Hadleyhaha

Feb 21, 2014
Fort Lauderdale Florida
3p141592654;1995867 said:
That is the only route I know of. Buy online and save at least 25%. To give you an example, the lower rear window exterior trim piece is $94.64 when I bought it last year (p/n 75575-14170). Other pieces are similar. Haven't hit anything discontinued yet, but I'm sure that day is coming.

Where would I find the part numbers to all the window trim? I'd love to just be able to buy it all and know it's going to fit correctly.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
MBK429C.gif

MBK431D.gif

MBK434B.gif