will this tool work for all seals?

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
hard to tell from the pic.the thing with the main seal is you have to clear the crank(it kinda pokes out alittle). if those diskes are shaped like a socket then it might work. i think you can come up with something that will work fine with the things you have lying around the house right now.

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
That tool looks like it will extend somewhat into the area you're putting a seal on. At the very least, it's not socket-shaped. Judging from that and from souprat's reply, I'll have to say that I don't think the tool will work for the main seal.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
that looks like a tool used to press bushings into place. Are you sure you need a press to replace the seals? From what Ive heard you only have to simply put it in place. I havent changed the seals on my JDM motor yet, just HG, but I have yet to read about anyone who replaced those seals needing a press.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Doubt it. You almost definitly need to press around the shafts so a plate will not work. If you're good you can just use an aluminum or brass punch and a hammer and gradually drive it in.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
They are all correct. Over the years, I've put more seals in in more cars and trucks than I care to count. I always 'easily' manage to do so without a tool like the one you mention.

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
Yellow 13 said:
Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

So its OK to put the seals in by hand? Im doing the front,rear and oil pump seal now and they go in pretty easy.

Make sure its Properly lubbed up on the inner seal (big O ring Lookin)

but Yes u Can put seals in by hand Then use a socket or something big enough to go on the seal and use a hammer and Tapp it in slowly ( and Evenly) . not hard and it'll work

Last edited:

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
it will work on some seals, but not the ones you are wanting to do..

i put most of my seals in by hand working around the out side of the seal to walk them in.. i also lube them with 2-stroke oil to help them ease in.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
AND.....to remove the seals, you make a little hook out of a coat hanger. Carefully slip it into the seal at the shaft contact point, rotate it 90*, and pull some, then slide it around 180*, then pull a little more, 'walking the seal out.

By the way, with this new keyboard, I'm starting to sound like some secretary in an office.:biglaugh: Yeah, Baby !!

And with only 2 fingers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
^

I do it a different Easier Way If you want to know how to remove it

Tools Needed

Screw
hammer
Screw Driver
some sort of plyers

ok so you put the screw in the seal. Tap the hammer so the head of the screw goes in, use the screw driver to put it a lil Deeper in the seal. Get plyers, and Pull

me=ftw

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
supramike7m said:
hmm i dont know about that, i thought those were for bearings only. but you should try this stuff out, just to help prevent this again. lol
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

Uhm are you serouis?

Seals get hard and tend to leak. none of that bs stuff ever works. thats stuffs just like radiator fix, BHG repair stuff u just dump in.

if your going to fix something please do it right.. if u dont you'll have problems and we'll see another thread on how shitty the 7m is

SupraLover

Apr 13, 2005
Las Vega$
So bottom line, dont buy it, cuz you can install the sealls by hand! On the crankshaft seal, you can even put gasket sealent along the outside of the seal, press it in by hand as straight as you can, then you can tap it the rest of the way in by using the back end of a socket wrench. I like mrnickleye's idea of using a coat hanger! LOL I went and bought a seal puller which now I know I didnt have to do...cool

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I would put either a sort of silicon or a gasket maker type sealent around the outer diameter of the seal as that can leak. Especially when the seal goes in fairly easy.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
Superjustin13 said:
Uhm are you serouis?

Seals get hard and tend to leak. none of that bs stuff ever works. thats stuffs just like radiator fix, BHG repair stuff u just dump in.

if your going to fix something please do it right.. if u dont you'll have problems and we'll see another thread on how shitty the 7m is

lol, no im not serious, and neither is anything esle on that site. funny stuff though.