Will the trans drop enough....

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I am getting set to pull this dead motor out of my 89. I assumed that the trans would drop down a bit after that rear trans mount was removed but it did not. I have the motor mount bolts loose and the trans feels loose. Will it fall enough for the shift lever to come out of that rubber boot and clear the tunnel one I start lifting the motor?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yellow 13;877830 said:
Why not just take the shifter out?

x2.
It's 4 bolts. No need to drop the trans. it will slide right out. and make it much easier to remove engine+trans. from engine bay, or else the shifter would smack the bottom of the firewall.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Auto or manual trans? When you lift the engine have somebody pushing down on the trans......is should tip back far enough to come out clean. It did on my auto trans.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I was not sure how that black dash insert came out that goes down into the console. I did not take it out because I thought it would fall enough to clear the car

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
No. Take the shifter knob off, remove the console, remove 4 10mm bolts from the big rubber boot(outside corners, hidden under the bottom fold), remove boot, remove small rubber boot, remove 4 10mm bolts, and pull the shifter out. I can do it in less time than it took me to type this.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
AW11inVa;877838 said:
I was not sure how that black dash insert came out that goes down into the console. I did not take it out because I thought it would fall enough to clear the car

Its not to late to take the shifter out.

For the dash insert it one screw up by the steering wheel and another by the drivers seat and it just pops out. Unscrew the shift nob and lift up the rubber piece to get at the bolts.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
So you dont have to pull that black dash insert all the way out to get to those 2 frnt screws that hold the rubber boot? I am scared I will break it raising that high to get a ratchet in there.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
cuel;878816 said:
Yes, you need to pull the console. It's pretty easy, and will make the job a lot easier.

Thanks. I am just trying to be careful and not break anything. If you look at a plastic part iwrong in an MR2 and it will shatter LOL