will not crank

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
Pulled car or to wash it and now will not crank. Only one small click from passenger side. I thought it might be safety switch but I can hear the fuel pump on and while holding switch and pull in reverse it goes off. Any help from you guys would be great. I have senior pictures tomorrow and car show saturday and need car running. Thanks

supra1jz

Apr 14, 2008
Auburn, Georgia, United States
Have you tried to have someone jump you off to see if it starts and if it does that way then you are starting to have what most supra owners have the wiring to the starter relay I had this problem before and when I jump off my car it would start then I rewired my starter relay and never had the problem again.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
CrazySupra;1958922 said:
Yes I have been troubleshooting it. I'm sure its a common problem that somebody already had. Thought supra guys help each other.

I hate to state the obvious but electrical problems are not easily resolved from afar.

CrazySupra;1958927 said:
I was thinking there was a relay on that side.

There are two. Well, more than two but only two operate when you're trying to start the engine.

supra1jz;1958938 said:
... I had this problem before and *when I jump off my car it would start*...

Pretty good clue what the problem was right there but you either ignored it or didn't realize its significance.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just take some wire and put one end on the positive side of the battery and the other in place of the little wire on the starter. If it cranks when you do that that will tell you whether your starter is bad or not.

Also its pretty easy to test the relay vs just throwing parts at it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
CrazySupra;1958922 said:
I'm sure its a common problem that somebody already had.

Yes. Bad batteries are common after extended usage. And discharged batteries are common with bad charging systems or leaving things on in the car with the car off.

Thought supra guys help each other.

Do you go to work for free? That isn't rhetorical.