WILDLIFE- Birdstrikes at 180 MPH - smear on the windshield

FullTilt

Nov 3, 2008
N. Vancouver BC
Video Clip of the Week - http://fulltiltlife.com/thankyou.html

Animals and fast vehicles don't mix well. We've had critters stray onto the course before and usually manage to avoid any type of interaction. Scoping out the area helps, but those birds are hard to manage. They get sucked into jet engines, too, right?

In fact, two birds were harmed in the making of this movie. They were transformed in mid-flight to bloody smears in a fraction of a second. One played chicken with a Lamborghini and the other with a Supra - both at FullTilt speeds.

I was riding in the Supra when it hit the bird somewhere north of 150. Sounded like a baseball hitting the windshield - no damage besides the feathers and guts wedged into the rubber liner at the top of the glass.

Any other noteworthy animal/vehicle encounters?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I Hit a red kangaroo at 115kph and almost wrote my car off, ive since hit several kangaroo's and have wrecked everything from bumpers to having them jump into the side of the car at highway speeds and dinging the doors and guards,Bloody pests...
I hit a crow at 140kph and lost a side mirror.
Yes i live in the country :biglaugh:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
My brother and I hit a ten point buck about nine or ten years ago..........actually, he hit us. We were doing about seventy five in my brothers 1985 MKII. He was home visiting from the Navy. He'd just got his car painted gloss black. The deer came up to the edge of the road and tried to jump us, but instead he headbutted us right behind the drivers window. It knocked us to the other side of the road causing us to do a 180 slide. His feet flew around and kicked in our windshield and it knocked him unconcious. We stopped and I went back to check on his status. He was just sitting there all dazed, his head kinda moving back and fourth with his eyes closed. My brother was pissed. He had a huge dent in his car, with deer hair in the paint and a busted out windshield. It broke off one side of the deers antlers, so we was now a five point. People kept stopping and wanted to kill the buck, but I wouldn't let them. After about ten minutes he decided to wake up and run off. I happened to be about four feet from him when he jumped up, and I nearly shit on myself. He waid about two hundred pounds and seemed huge when he was on all fours. Luckily for me, he just turned towards the woods and walked off. My brothers car that had been absolutely beautiful that morning was now looking like a piece of shit. He restored it back to a great looking car later though.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Those damn 'roos.

I hit a monarch butterfly once, at about 35mph. I would have thought it'd have been obliterated on impact, but I pulled into a store and found it looking quite dead on my bumper. I shrugged and commenced with the buying of soda and cancer sticks. When I came back outside, the butterfly was on the ground flapping its wings getting ready to take back off. I still couldn't believe it didn't turn into black and orange powder

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
IJ.;1192450 said:
Many years back took a small bird to the helmet at speed on a bike almost dropped me :(

Friend taught me how to bump a bird on a bike. Just stand up right when they are taking off to move out of your way. :D

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
suprahero;1192467 said:
My brother and I hit a ten point buck about nine or ten years ago..........actually, he hit us. We were doing about seventy five in my brothers 1985 MKII. He was home visiting from the Navy. He'd just got his car painted gloss black. The deer came up to the edge of the road and tried to jump us, but instead he headbutted us right behind the drivers window. It knocked us to the other side of the road causing us to do a 180 slide. His feet flew around and kicked in our windshield and it knocked him unconcious. We stopped and I went back to check on his status. He was just sitting there all dazed, his head kinda moving back and fourth with his eyes closed. My brother was pissed. He had a huge dent in his car, with deer hair in the paint and a busted out windshield. It broke off one side of the deers antlers, so we was now a five point. People kept stopping and wanted to kill the buck, but I wouldn't let them. After about ten minutes he decided to wake up and run off. I happened to be about four feet from him when he jumped up, and I nearly shit on myself. He waid about two hundred pounds and seemed huge when he was on all fours. Luckily for me, he just turned towards the woods and walked off. My brothers car that had been absolutely beautiful that morning was now looking like a piece of shit. He restored it back to a great looking car later though.

must be like hitting a horse, those suckers are huge.I wouldve quickly cut his throat and stuffed him in the freezer.:evil2:

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
imagine running into this... you would be done

butterfly_parliament.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
All you'd have to do is wipe the powder off of his wings while he's trying to eat you........or find a giant frog to take care of it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You won't find many people who have done this.

I was driving in the country, at 12:20am, doing ~115. Following a buddy of mine in his Rx7, I was driving my '82 Celica, we were heading up camping. Buddy had the headlights on high, I didn't, as it would have been blinding in his rear view mirror all the time.

I see his taillights dip a little, and think, wtf? About half a second later, I see a horse on the road, coming at me. I hammer the brakes, drop off speed fast but not fast enough.

Worse, this horse has horns. And it's BIG. WAY bigger than any horse I've ever seen.

Turns out to be a full grown bull moose. Likely the Alaskan variant, they are well over 1000 lbs. He hammers the car, tears up the hood, roof, driver's side, rips off the mirror and antenna, pushes in the front bumper by a good inch, smashes one headlight, spins the car one and a half times, and covers the windshield with drool.

I end up pointing back at the moose with one working headlight, another hundred feet or so down the road. The SOB hasn't even been knocked over. He's standing there, looking at the car, laughing at me. He turns slowly, and walks away into the forest.

If his rack had been smaller, it would have come right into the passenger compartment and killed me for sure.

That was the end of the Celica, put it to rest with 1.7 million km on the clock. After that I bought my first Supra, a Blue '83.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
dam that's some crazy stories. where i live now there's deer crossing signs all over and luckily every time i see deer cross i have time to stop. i see deer like 5-6 of them cross the road like nothing. one leads and make sure its safe while the last one does the same thing yet i have heard so many stories about how bad they mess up your car. all i hope for is they don't cross while i am going by!

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
GrimJack;1193246 said:
You won't find many people who have done this.....put it to rest with 1.7 million km on the clock. After that I bought my first Supra, a Blue '83.

Did you really drive a car a million miles(or own it with that many?) thats more amazing lol