widening intake

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
ok, this is a mod that i'm really considering. has anyone done a ram air-like intake to where the filter is behind our fog lights. i would love to see pics. and i'm also thinking about taking apart my all of my intake, and widening the holes, to the size of the gaskets, so i breathes better. and and possibly the same to the exhaust. i was wondering how much performance gain if any there would be.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
it's been done numerous times but i can't remember if anyone's really done a writeup on it. the most common place to run it is to take out the passenger side fog light and put some dryer hose, flexible metal tubing or even pvc running up to the afm. just make sure you won't be sucking up lots of water during heavy rains :)

i've just got a 3" filter adapter bolted on to my afm with a big ol' k&n filter on that. as for widening the holes, if you're talking about taking the manifold off and using a die grinder to widen them you could, many have used die grinders to do a little bit of polishing and widening of the intake side.

as for the exhaust side, don't touch it. i can't begin to tell you why, but something about the sharp edges creating swirls and backpressure and it all just works better if you leave it alone. you could get an obx or pacesetter header if you want it to flow a bit better.

hope this helps, run a few searches for porting/polishing the intake and see if that's what you want.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Clip;896212 said:
it's been done numerous times but i can't remember if anyone's really done a writeup on it. the most common place to run it is to take out the passenger side fog light and put some dryer hose, flexible metal tubing or even pvc running up to the afm. just make sure you won't be sucking up lots of water during heavy rains :)

i've just got a 3" filter adapter bolted on to my afm with a big ol' k&n filter on that. as for widening the holes, if you're talking about taking the manifold off and using a die grinder to widen them you could, many have used die grinders to do a little bit of polishing and widening of the intake side.

as for the exhaust side, don't touch it. i can't begin to tell you why, but something about the sharp edges creating swirls and backpressure and it all just works better if you leave it alone. you could get an obx or pacesetter header if you want it to flow a bit better.

hope this helps, run a few searches for porting/polishing the intake and see if that's what you want.

well when it is coming to the ram air, i'm looking to along the lines of pipe. not the flexible metal tubing. i'm kinda looking for a somewhat professional look. not just a cheap look. plus my friend works at a muffler shop. and i am not really into the whole obx, or pacesetter headers. just due to the fact that i know a guy that has some, and his intake gets really hot. and it kinda defeats the purpose. i'm not too concerned about the back pressure, just cause when my car is cold, it sounds like i have an exhaust leak. its just not enough back pressure, and it sounds like hell. but with grinding the intake, would there be, if any, performance gain?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
couldn't tell you since i don't have a flow bench, but im sure there's a little to be had.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
"Gasket matching" (matching the intake/exhaust and head to the gasket size), is an old hot rodder trick, usually good for a little power(I've been told it's around 5 hp over stock, as you are smoothing out the flow of air). Fortunately, Toyota took this into consideration. The stock intake/head union is already pretty smooth(You can compare the size of the gasket to the intake, and the head). The thing to remember is that the intake runners should not be bigger than the head ports, and the exhaust tubes should not be smaller than the head ports on that side. You want air to flow smoothly, with the least amount of restrictions.
"Ram Air," is a short intake system, usually routed from the hood, that "rams" air, at speed, directly into the carb./throttle body. Taking it from the fog light area is just a CAI(a really long one). Ducting it won't work any better than my open filter in the same place.

Oh yeah, get the top(metal) intake pipe ceramic coated, and you won't have to worry about the heat from the headers. ;)

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
no, powder coating will resist the temperatures but it won't act as a heat barrier

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
From what i know at least, semi-hot air is better for N/A cars... as were not under positive boost pressure so the warm air assists a more complete combustion....

And the OBX headers are nice, just have to make your own y-pipe from the 2 collectors and the mid pipe, but i noticed a lot in the top end especially above +4,000RPM.

but if your worried about heat, ceramic coat the exhaust and intake, and then wrap them with the thermal wrap stuff... but its an N/A... so i dont see the point in that, unless your drag racing it.

Just my opinion, so yeah...

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
yeah, i just want it to be more efficiant. and i don;t want headers cause
1. my car is loud as it is already. and i like it.
2. i dont have money for a resinator
3. and truthfully, i don;t have money for headers either. thats why i'm thinking about just sticking with an intake.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
what do you consider loud? cause i have my obx headers, and a gutted cat, and its not that loud...

And you'll see more gains from an exhaust than you will an intake. But if you want a "good looking" one just get your friend to get a 45 degree pipe, cut it to size, and then spray paint it. Thats the cheapest and easiest way i can think ok...

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Rennat;898169 said:
what do you consider loud? cause i have my obx headers, and a gutted cat, and its not that loud...

And you'll see more gains from an exhaust than you will an intake. But if you want a "good looking" one just get your friend to get a 45 degree pipe, cut it to size, and then spray paint it. Thats the cheapest and easiest way i can think ok...

well i consider loud is when i come home from work at sometimes 10 to 11 at night, and in the morning i have neighbors complaining. like i love the way mine sounds too. i don;t really want to alter it.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I have the OBX header and custom 2.5" cat back. My car is actually quiet as long as I'm not at wot. Put a 24" glass pack in place of the stock resonator, and a 2 chamber Flow on the end. Sounds good; no raspy, pissed off weed eater type of noise. Nice and deep, with a mellow tone at idle and low throttle, and not real loud or droning on the highway. Gets a little loud at wot, but not bad. None of my neighbors complain, and I get compliments on how it sounds pretty often, even from my domestic v-8 friends.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Dr Chill;902521 said:
I have a straight pipe from the manifold to a muffler & thats not too loud either
Update: i did the ram air thing yesterday. i have my filter behind my fog light, and it is working great. i felt a power increase. i only paid 10 bucks for the 3 inch bent pipe from a local mieneke. painted it with heat resistat paint and slapped it in. works like a charm.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
supra_man87;907548 said:
Update: i did the ram air thing yesterday. i have my filter behind my fog light, and it is working great. i felt a power increase. i only paid 10 bucks for the 3 inch bent pipe from a local mieneke. painted it with heat resistat paint and slapped it in. works like a charm.

Or it can be placebo :)

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
I ran mine through the hole behind the head light and cut a hole in the skid-plate
behind the fog light. when I get my gf's camera I will take pics and post.
It works great I noticed better gas mileage and a bit of power increase.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
sean210;907572 said:
I ran mine through the hole behind the head light and cut a hole in the skid-plate
behind the fog light. when I get my gf's camera I will take pics and post.
It works great I noticed better gas mileage and a bit of power increase.

Ma70.Ent;907567 said:
Or it can be placebo :)

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Yeah I've come to the conclusion that modifying your intake is worthless unless your stock intake is rotting :)