Wide band kits

fstoy

Soon to be Evil Twin
Mar 30, 2005
Texas
I have decide to buy a wide band. I like the PLX M-300 ,seams like a reasonable piece of equipment.
Is anyone here using this kit? Any likes. dislikes?

There are several wideband kits out there onthe market, i just dont know what to buy.

Any insite would be helpful, in making the right decision.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
FWIW, it seems that the PLX M-300 is a bit more popular than, say the Innovate LM-1...

I do, however like the Innovate's gauge option. Makes it a bit easier to not have this massive original Game Boy type thing hanging around the interior of the car...

jimi87-t has the Innovate as seen here on his A-Pillar pod.
p115164_1.jpg

:EDIT: On second thought, go with the PLX R-300
http://www.plxdevices.com/R-300_productinfo.htm
That is amazing right there. Choose that one. USB port on the side of the unit, 90min of memory... Go with that.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
just ask yourself what you really want a wideband for?

does the PLX M-300 have datalogging? if it does, then it is a reasonable consideration.

I have and can highly recommend the Zeitronix ZT-2. Out of the box without any additional addons, you can datalog - A/F, RPM, TPS and VF - $279

jmo

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
sorry to steal the tread, but what exactly does a wideband do.
I know that it moniters A/f ratio's, but I dotn know what else you guys are talking about, maybe the better question is what does all the stuff that is does mean.

I know i need one, as I have the maft, but i thought i just needed one to moniter the af ratio, and that was it for tuning. any help.
thanks
Joe

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
essestially thats what the wb 02 is for. But just telling is good to a point. With the zt-2 you can datalog. Datalogging means that an internal memory will plot your afr's over time along with the other inputs (throttle pos. vf's (computers response to the stock o2), and rpm) extremely helpful when tuning more eloquent devices such as an aem or other standalone.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
^^Yep thats mine up there, I like the LM-1 + XD-1, but would I say it's the best, no. I like how I can program the gauge with my PC, every indication light is actually 3 LEDs (r-g-b) so you can make any color combo for each one. And you can set min and max reading points.....and just too much to list, more info on options on there site. Also the record button is right there on the gauge and there is one on the "box".

But I have heard of more problems setting up the LM-1 than with any others, but mine works fine, even with the sensor in the elbow (with the heatsink). The LM-1 box is big, so you have to find a place to put it.

I think a smaller box would be a big plus, and the USB with the PLX is also a big plus, The LM-1 requires a serial port that my laptop does not have, so I have to use my tower to do the gauge programing and downloading the logs.

fstoy

Soon to be Evil Twin
Mar 30, 2005
Texas
I like the PLX because it looks simple! I only need it to keep an eye on afr's during high boost.
I can data log with my haltech.

fstoy

Soon to be Evil Twin
Mar 30, 2005
Texas
MDCmotorsports said:
I saw one a while back that sat on the steering column like the turbo timer does and read real time afr.

Any help on who makes that?

FJO most likley.

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
I am very pleased with my PLX M-300. It is mounted on the steering column so it can be seen at a quick glance and does not block any other gauges. It sort-of blends in with the rest of the interior.

My only complaint is the unit has four digits so it can read "Rich" and "Lean", (for below 10.0:1 and above 20.0:1, respectively) and that last 10th place digit changes so often that the quick glance method can be difficult. Solution? Put a piece of black electrical tape over the fourth digit.

Ken

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Notice these guys running the PLX, figgie, fstoy, ... still have some form of datalogging.

If planning on doing any tuning, carefully consider a datalogging option. It's invaluable.

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
I have the LM-1 very nice a unit for those of you using the zetronics unit can you calibrate this unit? my friend has this and we checked both units back to back and the zetronics did not pick up a lean spot (18-19) at high RPM in his turbo high compression celica he was unaware if it had the calibrate function or not. He was a bit pissed he was running his engine like this for a week he's lucky he didnt cook a piston!!