Why

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
Things seem to go wrong so fast for me. I'm seventeen. My girlfriend (19) just moved to WA from PA. My parents are Jehovah's Witnesses, as I have been for quite a while. I decided that I believed differently. Now that my girlfriend is here and we're officially dating, and she isn't a JW, they have decided that I can't use any of the vehicles we have, other than my supras. I don't see how that is rational. One which is 3/4 of the way through a 1jz swap, and the other needs some work before it would be driveable. This wouldn't be too bad, except that I have college courses that I need to get to, and I need to get a new job, yet I don't have any way to get to work. It looks like I'm going to have to sell both supras and all my 1jz parts along with my dreams of having my 1jz supra finished. Which really fucking sucks because I am within $600 of everything I need to have it running. But now I have to look at moving out. Looks like I'm going to have to give up on supras for the time being. So I can't use any of their vehicles to get to school or work because I am with someone who isn't a JW. Life is fucked up.

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
She is undecided. JW's do value their families, but If a member were to leave the religion, the kinda give them the cold shoulder to make them feel bad so that they would come back. It doesn't work that way though.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Before this gets into another religion bashing thread, the solution is simple, however it may not be easy. You made a choice and your parents made their's. Now it is up to you. It sounds like they are saying if you are mature enough to make big boy decisions, then they will let you make all of your decsions. Without their money... RIght or wrong, it is their decision, as it is yours.

BTW, this girl, she moved accros the country to be with you? She left what? Her family? Her life? just so you could be together? If so, Danger Will Robinson!

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
if your parents cant accept the fact that you are your own person and have decided to take your own stance on your own beliefs, I think that warrants a conversation with them..unfortunately life isnt black and white..you're parents might have views that seem askew to you, but they're still your parents...Just do what you feel is right, but dont cut your parents out, just tune them out...Also, make the decision to change your beliefs for yourself, not someone else...

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
surferofthesnow;1229140 said:
She is undecided. JW's do value their families, but If a member were to leave the religion, the kinda give them the cold shoulder to make them feel bad so that they would come back. It doesn't work that way though.

Textbook behavior of the kinds of people who cannot respect the lawful decisions of someone else. The only thing hurt here is someone's "feelings". That they would cast you aside like some Judas is reprehensible, but then again, if a difference in opinion is enough to make them turn against you, maybe it is best for you to break free and confront this later, or not at all.

I haven't talked to my family in over a year now, because they kept trying to convince me that they are "right", to the point of angry arguments. Sometimes distance and time are good things. I do not necessarily advise you to go this path, as your situation varies greatly from mine.
Whatever decision you take, good luck to you.

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
Thanks. I'm just unsure of everything. They would cut me out of their lives if I am not in the same religion. It's the same with any strong JW. I don't have anything against JWs, but this part the religion isn't fun.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Solution, sell one supra, finish 1jz, drive it.
While you need to get around, tell friends your situation, most people are willing to help for a week or 2, that should give you time to finish the swap and sell the other supra.

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
Dude dont sell the supras, Maybe one, but you are so close to being done. If I lived near you I would Let you stay here but thats not the case. Anywho. Try sitting down with your parents and talking to them about it. Dont let it turn into a yelling match. Show them your responsible and you love your gf. Be mature about it. Trust me I didnt think it would work till I tried it.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
FatalStylez;1229524 said:
Dude dont sell the supras, Maybe one, but you are so close to being done. If I lived near you I would Let you stay here but thats not the case. Anywho. Try sitting down with your parents and talking to them about it. Dont let it turn into a yelling match. Show them your responsible and you love your gf. Be mature about it. Trust me I didnt think it would work till I tried it.

You never delt with a jw have you....

There is no reasoning...it's there way or FUCK YOU SINNER!

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
What I find works with parents when they get shitty or what not... I'm 23 my dads 50 and I just always remind them that the longer that he stays grumpy and not talkative or what not that you know... times moving on we aren't getting any younger here, we need to make the most of the time we have together.

That always gets them thinking like I haven't needed to say that for a while now but I recall that worked just reminding them of the simple things in life.

My faith is Christianity and so is my parents' but they're not biblical int he sense of being at a church every weekend, just on main occasions.

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
I've told them that I love her, but... Unreasonable. I guess college is sorta out of the question right now. Oh well. I've had my other supra up for sale for a while. Someone is coming to look at it on sunday. I am only trying to get $700 or so for it. Anyone need a new 7mge head? I was told it has 7,000 miles on it. I'm going to try to finish my 1jz, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to. The white supra is driveable. It is just a heavy smoker. I'm guessing valve guides or piston rings. I'm gonna try to get it going today. The 1jz needs intake and intercooler piping, a new driveshaft, waterpump, pulleys, the intake manifold gasket between the fuel rail and I'd rather just have it driveable. Thanks for everything...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
surferofthesnow;1229140 said:

family is family. FUCK religion.

Religion is supposed to be there to help be people, instead it simply segregates and typically starts wars, whether it be through families or countries

just my .02