Why store your Supra over the winter when you can do this.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Thought I'd share what I was up to during the weekend with the Supra. :) I bought some used rally car spike tires and steel wheels and went to a winter track event to have some fun with my friends. If you have snow available, I highly recommend this, it's so much fun. The grip on the race spike tires is excellent, it's almost like driving on gravel. Here's some pics of the tires and from the event. I also made a small vid that I put on Youtube. I had trouble mounting the camera in the car with the tripod so it's a little too close to the roof, I have to get a suction cup mount for the camera.

cimg29692zm6.png

cimg29682kw8.jpg

2640hk2.jpg

1640ek5.jpg

3640zc0.jpg

Here's the vid me chasing my friends Skyline R32.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEIb4kxmCyk

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Zumtizzle;917807 said:
Now do it with the mk4!

Haha, no way. I bought the Mk3 for track day fun. I cant afford to wreck the MKIV.

HommerSimpson;917808 said:
Neat... Can you do a burn out on pavment with the spike tires on and film it please ? hehehe

Sure, if you come over and film it from the rear. Remember to duck when the spikes start flying ;)

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
AF1JZ;917822 said:
That looks like a blast!!! Too bad studed tires aren't legal in a lot of states here.

These Race studed tires arent street legal in finland either, only for off road use. The studs are 1cm long, where the street stud tires have maby 3mm worth of studs. The difference is huge. Also the race tires are 145/60-16 where a regular Supra winter tire is 205/50-16. They are much narrower to get the penetration to the ice and snow.

Here's a pic of a regular studed tire:
http://www.knatte.fi/Renkaat%2010.jpg

If you compare this to the ones I used, you can see the difference :)

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Damn, no snow here this year, it's terrible:(
Why can't I hear engine noises?? :D
Seemed a lot of fun, though did you broke the front lip?
How's the rebuilt transmission, good?

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
hehe, brings back memories, of my old Evo IX back in the days ;) 2 years ago when I did some amateur rallying I used 1.2cm michelin spikes on a frozen lake. Its incredible feeling when flying into a corner at 150-180hm/h and handling just like on tarmac ;) Me and my buddy with his '05 wrx STI spent there all day chasing each other around that lake :D that was really fun.

You still have snow in Finland? Down here in Lithuania is spring now, +8C all day long :D

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
ValgeKotkas;917841 said:
Damn, no snow here this year, it's terrible:(
Why can't I hear engine noises?? :D
Seemed a lot of fun, though did you broke the front lip?
How's the rebuilt transmission, good?

I dont know why you cant hear the engine noise. The Trust exhaust on the car is very quiet with three silencers. I think the editing also took away the sound, I can hear the engine when looking the vid from my DVD player.

Yea, I broke the front lip. It was actually a little bent from shipping the car from Japan, but I was a little bummed out as I was going to sell it anyway as it had the brake ducts. They are still somewhat intact though, but the front lip is gone. I'm going to install a Gracer front bumper, so I'm not worried about the stock bumper and lip that much.

Transmission is working like a dream :)

CryoSlash;917931 said:
wow where did you get those tires, and how much? i want a set for my subaru :wtc:

I bought them from a Finnish rally forum for 250€/300USD a set. I'm sure you can get set from a rally forum, especially from Canada, they have lots of snow.

ViR2;917977 said:
hehe, brings back memories, of my old Evo IX back in the days ;) 2 years ago when I did some amateur rallying I used 1.2cm michelin spikes on a frozen lake. Its incredible feeling when flying into a corner at 150-180hm/h and handling just like on tarmac ;)

You still have snow in Finland? Down here in Lithuania is spring now, +8C all day long :D

It's great isnt it? :) The grip is just phenominal with these kinds of tires if you've only driven with regular snow tires before. Evo's and STI's with regular snow tires didnt have a chance.

We usually have snow untill late March. This year has been worse on snow than any year before, hardly any snow at all :( Now it has been raining for three days straight and +3C degrees and almost all the snow is gone.

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
Wow, that looks like alot of fun, I'll have to try that next year as the ice rallies around here will wrap up before I finish my car.

And those of you that want snow, you can have the stuff around here, I don't want it anymore. While you're at it, take the -10F degree weather we've been having lately.