why not coilovers?

3.0trd

Jun 13, 2008
Tracy
ok, I've seen a lot of people looking for suspension setup tips, trying different length shocks, using a threaded sleeve to adjust the ride height/change spring pre-load, different shock/spring setups etc. Every time I read these, I ask myself "why not try coilovers?" I understand they can be more expensive, and this is why I started this thread, to put into perspective the cost differences. hopefully this helps some, and I'm hoping I won't be flamed, because this would have really helped me a while back.

think about this, brand new bilstein shocks are about $110 each shipped (google search) as far as I've seen. so right there your looking at $440 minimum for non adjustable new shocks... unfortunately springs, especially GOOD springs are expensive for the MK3, so say $200 minimum, but more like $250-300ish. so at best you have non adjustable shocks, and non adjustable ride height for $600+. thats what I got when I started, car handles pretty good and I was happy enough, even though the rear end was about an 3/4 of an inch higher than the front...

So, that being said, has anyone ever heard of Godspeed project? they make the godspeed type rs coilovers for many different cars for about $700, or less (I know some of the honda coilovers are like $500) you get 16 way adjustable, full ride height adjustment, 12k front springs, 6k rear ( might be able to get different, I never asked), pillow ball upper mounts etc (godspeedproject.com) , they are rebuildable, with lots of dampening adjustment!
now I have heard from some mk3 guys that 12k and 6k may be a little soft for some setups, but they could probably put different ones in, or I'm sure they are just the standard 2'' coils, so you could proabably put on any spring rate you wanted from another company!
let me know what you think, as I have heard no bad things about godspeed, and I am running their aluminum radiator that came with twin 10'' electric fans. Also, a friend of mine runs godspeed coilover on both of his personal drift cars, and really likes them.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
OMG< stay the hell away from GodSpeed coilovers.

The only coilovers for MKIIIs anyone needs to concern themselves with would be (not in any particular order)
Zankoku Performance
Megan Racing
Stance
BC Racing
Tein
JIC
Buddy Club

Bascially look at the spring rates. If the fronts are AT LEAST 14kg then the manufacture actually put some effort into designing them and didnt just randomly select some springs. Supras are HEAVY and roll over like crazy so they need stiffer spring rates. Anything that doesnt come with at least 14/10 rates you just pay no attention to.

Absolutely stay away from Ksport, D2, GodSpeed I wonder if all 3 of them are actually made in the same place. Notice how you have to zip tie your brake lines to all of those too, once again, lack of developement. Cant even incorporate brake line mounts on the body? WTF!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
3.0trd;1656203 said:
ok, I've seen a lot of people looking for suspension setup tips, trying different length shocks, using a threaded sleeve to adjust the ride height/change spring pre-load, different shock/spring setups etc. Every time I read these, I ask myself "why not try coilovers?" I understand they can be more expensive, and this is why I started this thread, to put into perspective the cost differences. hopefully this helps some, and I'm hoping I won't be flamed, because this would have really helped me a while back.

think about this, brand new bilstein shocks are about $110 each shipped (google search) as far as I've seen. so right there your looking at $440 minimum for non adjustable new shocks... unfortunately springs, especially GOOD springs are expensive for the MK3, so say $200 minimum, but more like $250-300ish. so at best you have non adjustable shocks, and non adjustable ride height for $600+. thats what I got when I started, car handles pretty good and I was happy enough, even though the rear end was about an 3/4 of an inch higher than the front...

So, that being said, has anyone ever heard of Godspeed project? they make the godspeed type rs coilovers for many different cars for about $700, or less (I know some of the honda coilovers are like $500) you get 16 way adjustable, full ride height adjustment, 12k front springs, 6k rear ( might be able to get different, I never asked), pillow ball upper mounts etc (godspeedproject.com) , they are rebuildable, with lots of dampening adjustment!
now I have heard from some mk3 guys that 12k and 6k may be a little soft for some setups, but they could probably put different ones in, or I'm sure they are just the standard 2'' coils, so you could proabably put on any spring rate you wanted from another company!
let me know what you think, as I have heard no bad things about godspeed, and I am running their aluminum radiator that came with twin 10'' electric fans. Also, a friend of mine runs godspeed coilover on both of his personal drift cars, and really likes them.

Adjustability is an overrated gimmick. Properly valved dampeners for your setup will win everytime.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bilstein are in fact adjustable as well. Not nearly to the same degree as "true" coilovers, but they are adjustable for ride height. Yes, as Poodles says correct valving is essential to giving you "correct" performance. Yes, they are also a lifetime warrenty for as long as you own them.

I own a set with H&R springs.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Flateric;1657369 said:
Bilstein are in fact adjustable as well. Not nearly to the same degree as "true" coilovers, but they are adjustable for ride height. Yes, as Poodles says correct valving is essential to giving you "correct" performance. Yes, they are also a lifetime warrenty for as long as you own them.

I own a set with H&R springs.

How big of a drop did you get with those springs and how's the ride quality?

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
:rofl: grim says (not in any particular order :naughty:)... Uhuh yahhh

btw how nice are they? Youve been running them for some time now.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
laotionracer101;1657504 said:
:rofl: grim says (not in any particular order :naughty:)... Uhuh yahhh

btw how nice are they? Youve been running them for some time now.
Of course no particular order, it it WAS in order would I put JIC below Megan? I would've run a custom set of FLTA2s years ago if I had $2000 lying around, but went with the $900 Megans since they had the spring rates I would want to run on the JICs anyways and it was what i could afford and I figured i'd be down with the gamble.

But years later, they're great!

3.0trd

Jun 13, 2008
Tracy
you are right grimsta, from what I've been hearing those are a little soft. but hopefully with sway bars and all new bushings it will give me a good starting place, and I think the springs on most coilovers are pretty standard size aren't they? If I have problems I'll try the 14/10 or something like that.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Zankoku Performance is around the same price,,,and actually a contributing vendor on here. plus a much better made product than any GODSPEED garbage could ever dream to be...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SupraSean;1657963 said:
Zankoku Performance is around the same price,,,and actually a contributing vendor on here. plus a much better made product than any GODSPEED garbage could ever dream to be...

More than likely ALL come out of 1 or 2 different factorys in China so what are you basing this on Sean?

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
IJ.;1657965 said:
More than likely ALL come out of 1 or 2 different factorys in China so what are you basing this on Sean?
Our coilovers ARE NOT assembled in China, TAIWAN. There IS a difference and the Taiwanese actually have standards and good manufacturing practices.

I know for sure GodSpeeds arent assembled in the same factory ours are. You can tell the difference between the casings, THEY may actually be made in China. But I can tell you IJ, you cat even come close to comparing ours to GodSpeeds. I sell GodSpeed and have experience with their coilovers, and they were so bad I just stopped selling them altogether.

There are also ALOT of these factories over China and Taiwan. I spent a good amount of time talking with several reps from alot of factories before I chose the one that would assemble our product. I demand alot of excellence from the people I work with and the products i want to use and the factory we use met the criteria I had for them :)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
IJ.;1657965 said:

Nothing from personal, only that i know of a few close friends that tried godspeed products such as intercooler and coilovers for an s14.which the intercooler developed a leak 2 weeks after running it at 15psi. the coilovers were sloppy from original installation. I'm not sayin,,, im just sayin,,,,,,,,,

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
No complaints about Taiwanese products at all, 40 years ago "Made in Japan" was a joke they got better then it was Taiwan's turn same deal now we have China, difference being it only takes China 1>2 generations of a part to get it "right" J&T were more like years before they improved (I have a made in Taiwan Centre Lathe that I bought in 1987 and it's still going strong and accurate)

3.0trd

Jun 13, 2008
Tracy
ok, so the godspeeds turned out to be junk... damn expensive lesson but well learned! they are "16 way adjsutable", but from 1-16 does nothing... and at about 11 it gets REALLY hard to turn... at the time I bought them I didin't know zankoku was producing them, but I really should have done that. they aren't messed up or anything, and the spherical bearing top hat is ok, mostly the aweful spring rate, I actually had the rear end off the ground for a split second over a good bump on the freeway, WAY to soft in back

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
WTF< you went ahead and bought those after being warned at the beginning?

Now i'm not saying everyone buy ours, but there are other options, and the price difference between the Megans and GodSpeeds is nominal, especially when you have an experienced vendor tell you how bad the GodSpeeds are to begin with ;)

BTW- you coming to the 3 Year event on the 13th with the other CenCal guys? Havent seen you and your ride for awhile :)

3.0trd

Jun 13, 2008
Tracy
I should be at the show on the 13th. my buddy has a panda ae86 from D10, I'll be with him. as for the coilovers, I had them on order when I started this thread... they are already gone, and I'm going to try just bilstein shocks with new top hats, the solid top hats pissed me off, and I only auto x my supra, so I don't need anything too crazy, once the bilsteins are in, I'll be buying tanabe sway bars and call it a day.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Unless you're spending $15000 on a set of shocks, the "adjustability" is just a knob you can turn that gives consumers something to do. Generally, it does fuck all. There used to be a thread kicking around somewhere about a guy with a shock dyno and alot of sarcasm that tested the adjustability of a slew of different shocks, and all the adjustable shocks that were "reasonably priced" paled in comparison to bilsteins in terms of consistency and reliability. Basically, for $1500 you could have a left front shock that was valved completely differently from the right front, and same on the back, no matter how you set the monkey knob on the top. Yeah, that'll handle real nice.

I'll see if I can find the article soon.