Mar 31, 2008
san jose
did timing correctly 10 degrees before tdc
have everything hooked up
afm hooked up
no leakes
at least everything closed up which isnt hooked up
i have an aftermarket setup waiting to be put in so it isnt the stock setup

anything that would make it not rev past exactly 2500?
is this fuel cut? but the vacuum lines arent hooked up
so how could it hit fuel cut?

any suggestions?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
vacuum lines are there for a reason...

I don't understand how someone thinks their smarter than a multi billion dollar company...

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
Poodles;1094557 said:
vacuum lines are there for a reason...

I don't understand how someone thinks their smarter than a multi billion dollar company...

i dont understand how you think its okay to assume something about me like that or insult people whom you have no idea about
you dont know what i think and frankly its really not that i decided NOT to put them back its just that i didnt know the setup on the turbo side

anywho, i'll check the timing again
i may be off a tooth, i tried to make sure it was perfect but i'll check just to be sure

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
come on guys..there is no reason to start bashing people here... but the problem could be as simple as a vacuum line not being hooked up. alot of them are important.... explain your cars condition alittle better, what exactly are you working on, and what isn't hooked up at the moment?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
gotsomegetsome;1094687 said:
i dont understand how you think its okay to assume something about me like that or insult people whom you have no idea about
you dont know what i think and frankly its really not that i decided NOT to put them back its just that i didnt know the setup on the turbo side

anywho, i'll check the timing again
i may be off a tooth, i tried to make sure it was perfect but i'll check just to be sure

Any assumptions the guys that are trying to help you make are 100% based on what YOU post.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Didn't mean to come off as an ass, but we see it all the time.

You know the vacuum lines aren't hooked up, so that would be the first think you need to get sorted. Vacuum can cause all sorts of issues...

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
its all good everyone
no hard feelings

after all i do come to all of you for answers haha

uhm I have all the vacuum lines on the intake side hooked up properly I do believe, of course if i am wrong then that may be something, i am not sure

however, i have not gotten a diagram of the exhast side so i try my best to make that all correct

if anyone can confirm which lines go where in detail (if thats not too time consuming) then that would be awesome

i was talking to my friend who is a good mechanic and he said it may be taht my timing is just a bit off but using the scope it was exactly at 10 degrees before tdc give or take .5 degrees

the idle is rough at first, then once the engine gets going it is fine
it is hard to start from colddd but after a few times of trying to turn it over it goes

i do not know what codes it is reading, but i dont have the knock sensors hooked up but i dont think that would do it. im doing a re-wire so that should be done soon

and p.s.
i just changed the gasket + arp studs
if i mis-torqued the head just a little bit would that cause any problem
it was over torqued for about a couple weeks without the car being started
i re-torqued the head to about 85-90 ft-lbs consistently as best as i could
and i believe the engine is running rich from what i can tell
thick white ish smoke when revving up to 2500
i dont think i messed up the gasket because there is no oil in the coolant or anything
only some left over particles from the block and rusted old radiator

So no vacuum lines are hooked up on the exhaust side at all? I'm not sure if this would happen at 2500 rpm, but if your wastegate pressure line isn't hooked up the turbo will spool too fast and you'll hit fuel cut.

What happens when it gets to 2500 rpm? Is it a rev limiter type sound or does the check engine light come on for a bit and the engine suddenly stops and then keeps running when rpms lower? Or is it something different?

White smoke is water/coolant =( Did you have good smooth surfaces on the head and block?

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
i dont have the turbo hooked up because my stock pipes are ripped from the guy i bought it from
im waiting on pipes so i can do it myyself

i have the tubes hooked up on the exhaust side but im saying i dont know if it is correct

and it does sound like a rev limiter, it really just cuts out like it loses fuel or the spark just doesnt want to ignite or something

and as far as the head, im positive both sides were as smooth as could be, i got the head re-surfaced and the block cleaned up. i'll check again on what color the smoke is, because every time i work on the car its mid day when the sun beats down over here and everything is so bright that i can barely tell

but its either a grey smoke that is thinned out by the wind and all
or simply a white smoke
and i think its like a white grey sorta smoke

but like i said it gets stirred up and all with the wind and sun

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
A vacuum leak won't cause this and even if it did why aren't you measuring vacuum? And why, after 13 posts, have you not checked codes? Not that your problem would show up as a code, rather it would be a lack of one. I suggest you check the idle contact. The symptoms you're describing indicated it's shorted. In other words your TPS may be bad. Unplug it and see if the problem goes away...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
gotsomegetsome;1095288 said:
i dont have the turbo hooked up because my stock pipes are ripped from the guy i bought it from
im waiting on pipes so i can do it myyself

what do you mean by this? if your intercooler pipes are missing, that would explain it...

<edit IJ>

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
jetjock;1095291 said:
A vacuum leak won't cause this and even if it did why aren't you measuring vacuum? And why, after 13 posts, have you not checked codes? Not that your problem would show up as a code, rather it would be a lack of one. I suggest you check the idle contact. The symptoms you're describing indicated it's shorted. In other words your TPS may be bad. Unplug it and see if the problem goes away...

i doubt this is it
i have my s-afc2 hooked up and it is getting reading from the tps

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
So wait...you really don't have the pipes connected? The big ones? I was talking about small leaks.

As for the TPS guess again. Your toy doesn't read the part of the TPS that would cause this problem. If you want help less talk, more listen. After all if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be here...

Status
Not open for further replies.