Why is my speed-o below 0???

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I replaced the part of the speedo cable that goes into the trans (same gear, same type cable) and now my speedo works but instead of starting at 0mph it's way below the 0 at the bottom of the dial.

Any ideas?

p1040528_1.jpg

thanks man

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
The car is actually going 180 MPH?

My guess would be something snagged, snapped loose, and the momentum of the needle caused it to rotate on the shaft. Feasible? I don't know. But it's the only idea I've got.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
IJ.;1040663 said:
Don't know "why" but a simple fix would be to pop the needle off and put it back on at 0.

I'll give it a try. I'll post up after I pull the cluster.

mobes;1040670 said:
The car is actually going 180 MPH?

I have not laughed all day, but that is very funny! Thanks. The only way this car is gonna hit 180 is if it was in the cargo hold a Boeing 747.

mobes;1040670 said:
My guess would be something snagged, snapped loose, and the momentum of the needle caused it to rotate on the shaft. Feasible? I don't know. But it's the only idea I've got.

My thinking as well.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Pete: Nah there's no physical connection between the Cable and the Needle, it has a magnetic coupling.

My "guess" is there's some sort of stop that the Needle is meant to rest against (been ages since I had one apart).

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
suprabad;1040528 said:
I replaced the part of the speedo cable that goes into the trans (same gear, same type cable) and now my speedo works but instead of starting at 0mph it's way below the 0 at the bottom of the dial.

Any ideas?

p1040778_1.jpg

thanks man

My car does -5 mph sittin' still, but its a feature. Take apart the dash, and you will find it very easy to reset the needle without even removing it. I moved mine because my speedometer is off by so much that it was getting me into trouble.

Once you reset it back to zero, I highly recommend you take it out and check it. We had 3 supras running to indy, and no two cars matched speed or tripometer miles. Mine was way off.