Why is my cooling fan so loud?

vanman

May 22, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
Ok, I am new to supra's, so maybe they just sound like this, but most of the time all I can hear is my cooling fan. It is load enough that it is slighty annoying at freeway speeds. It seems to me that it shouldnt be that loud, it sounds like a diesel pickup or something. I dont even really have any exhuast on the car (hollowed cat, muffler rusted off). Oh, the car is a 87T I bought 3 weeks ago. Thanks guys.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Exhaust laws may permit you to get rid of your cat altogether.I'd just fix it with ex. tape as best you can and save up for a down pipe and a free flow exhaust.
But also check your clutch fan and make sure it spins okay,if it stays on all the time,it might be trashed,at freeway speeds it should dis-engage sometimes because your radiator is getting plenty of air.
Anyone else please chime in just in case i'm wrong!

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yea, I would check to make sure that its not locked or otherwise malfunctioning. I don't really hear my fan too much unless I have been romping on it.

I believe in the TSRM it says how to check it. Something about how much you can spin it when the car is cold and off.

full_thr0ttle

Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
thats the problem that i was having with my fan clutch, i changde it out for anotehr one, and it worked perfectly.. it was annoying because my engine was practically louder than exhaust...

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
mkIIIman089 said:
Yea, I would check to make sure that its not locked or otherwise malfunctioning. I don't really hear my fan too much unless I have been romping on it.

I believe in the TSRM it says how to check it. Something about how much you can spin it when the car is cold and off.
Where in the TSRM does it explain this???? I've looked...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I'll look for you when I get to school where they have a managable internet connection available for me to use. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: I thought it did but apparently you are right, I cannot find it. It just talks about the fluid coupling and how it should be checked for leaking silicone. This I suppose would cause it to lock up all the time though.

Last edited:

vanman

May 22, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
Mine is not locked up, it will spin when the car is off, so i dont know what the deal is. oh well, i have more important parts of the car to worry about right now.

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
It's the sound of a real fan drawing lots of air...If the common electrics could pull that hard, they'd sound much the same.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
My 87T sounded like that when I first got it running -- sounded like a big diesel pickup -- but it went away after a couple of months of driving. :dunno:

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You have the stock cooling fan shroud? One day i left that off after cracking it and that cooling fan would not quiet the f down. The next day i ghetto rigged the shroud back up and the problem went away.

Also some fan clutches have different characteristics(in my experience)... I almost never heard my Oem unit while the one i bought from autozone is loud every time i start the car... it will stay that way until about 2500 rpm in 2nd gear where it quiets down... after that i dont hear it anymore.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
GrimJack said:
When the clutch unit fails, the fan stops spinning properly, and therefore gets quiet. The dull roar is how you know it's still working. :)

eh....

personally i think hes hearing the auxillary fans...which SHOULD kick off...it seems a lot of you are relating this problem the the clutch fan itself which SHOULD be relatively quiet....

the aux fans could be stuck on...and they usually make a nice racket...i would check into those...

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
the fan clutch will make a lot of noise when it fails - it will steal a little bit of power too. Purchase one from ABC auto or somewhere else with a lifetime warranty on the part. I had one fail after one year - save your receipt.

ryans_supra

Mar 31, 2005
Burnaby
Idealsupra said:
eh....

personally i think hes hearing the auxillary fans...which SHOULD kick off...it seems a lot of you are relating this problem the the clutch fan itself which SHOULD be relatively quiet....

the aux fans could be stuck on...and they usually make a nice racket...i would check into those...

Bingo thats my guess as well. I have a clutch fan on my supra as well from a V6 4 runner, which is a lot stonger flan clutch. Mine is quiet at highway speeds and all i hear is the exhaust. I did have a issue once where i noticed my auxillary fans would never turn off and after inspecting the situation discovered that the thermostat was sticking causeing the coolant tempurature to rise slightly and after being completely warm would never turn off. after replaceing the thermostat the auxillary fans only come on in the summer time after shutting the engine off and getting heat soak. then when i turn it back on the fans kick in.

Either you have a bad clutch fan or auxillary fans not turning off. Clutch fan shouldn't be heard when the engine is completely warm and driving down the highway.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I put a new Fan Clutch in mine when the motor went back in and it's noisy as with the amount of air the fan is moving!
(give it a rev in a parking lot and small children and animals stick to the grill ;) )

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
It wouldn't be the aux fans because the sound increases (or increased, in my case) with revs. Sounded just exactly like a big dumptruck trying to take off hard.

I double-checked mine after I posted last night, to make sure it's still working... it still spins faster as I rev the motor up. Revving to about 2000-2500RPM kicks out enough air to blow my hair back... it's just not noisy like it used to be. *shrug*