Why is my car not droping 2 gears when i floor it?

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I forgot to add that I think I might of had jacked up the tps because I sprayed the connections with electric cleaner and shortly after I did this the problem started happrning. I didnt let the electric cleaner dry up after hooking it up because I had to go to school. U think thr tps is bad? I got a extra one I migjt just hook it up yo see if it does a difference. Because the car ran good before even with the speed sensor code.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Possibly. Keep in mind the TPS is a wear item and it's best to replace if it's having issues. Also, because of the way it functions, using electrical parts cleaner is fine, if you then replace the dielectric grease that was removed. It's been a while since I checked, but I think they're "sealed" but not quite. Plus if you removed it entirely it's definitely out of adjustment.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Go to the end of that section you're in :) The first one you hit is a check for it, the end has how to replace and calibrate.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
alacran1;1937667 said:
My tranny lights is caused by a speed sensor.

Kind of narrows it down don't you think? The trans does not have a governor valve or throttle valve. It has a speed sensor and TPS to calculate shifting.

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I tested my TPS and found out that is a total mess. My numbers:

Key on "ON" position.

At Idle:
VC-E2= Gave me "0L"
VTA-E2= Gave me "0L"
IDL-E2= 52 kΩ

Full Throttle:
VC-E2= 6.68 kΩ
VTA-E2= 4.30 kΩ
IDL-E2= If i remember right it showed "0L" (didnt mark it down)

So i got it back to idle and numbers changed:

VC-E2= It was "0L" changed to 6.68 kΩ
VTA-E2= It showed "0L" changed to 1.242 kΩ
IDL-E2= It showed 52 kΩ changed to 69kΩ

Is it messed up or does it need a adjustment?

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
By plugged in you mean the connector? If so no, i removed the connector and used the actual metal pins. It is still installed in the TB. Ive seen people poke the wire plastic with a pin and go from there but i just removed the connection cable.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
alacran1;1937667 said:
My tranny lights is caused by a speed sensor.

Without speed sensor, your ECT won't work and your transmission is in a sort of limp mode.
Shifting is then just controlled by hydraulic system with the throttle adjusting hydraulic pressure.

Nick M;1938606 said:
Kind of narrows it down don't you think? The trans does not have a governor valve or throttle valve. It has a speed sensor and TPS to calculate shifting.

Hum, please see my answer to OP above

alacran1;1938702 said:
I tested my TPS and found out that is a total mess. My numbers:

Key on "ON" position.

At Idle:
VC-E2= Gave me "0L"
VTA-E2= Gave me "0L"
IDL-E2= 52 kΩ

Full Throttle:
VC-E2= 6.68 kΩ
VTA-E2= 4.30 kΩ
IDL-E2= If i remember right it showed "0L" (didnt mark it down)

So i got it back to idle and numbers changed:

VC-E2= It was "0L" changed to 6.68 kΩ
VTA-E2= It showed "0L" changed to 1.242 kΩ
IDL-E2= It showed 52 kΩ changed to 69kΩ

Is it messed up or does it need a adjustment?

Yes, it is out of spec if you check correctly.

To benefit of all the performance of your gearbox you need to fix TPS as showed by Poodle and fix your speed sensor.

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
My ECT works fine though.. Im going to replace my tps with another one i got from the junkyard from another cressy. Hopefully i wont make things worse lol

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rollus;1938788 said:
Hum, please see my answer to OP above.

I don't need to see anything. I am not the one with the trans problem.

alacran1;1937667 said:
It just stopped dropping 2 gears. When it was working fine the RPM would rise all the way to 5k then go to 6k and change gear. Now it doesnt.

Oh wait.

alacran1;1938790 said:
My ECT works fine though..

Sucked in again.

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Im getting codes
27- Sub o2 sensor
24- Intake Air Temp
31- Air flow sensor
41 TPS
71- egr
I give up.. lol

update: i disconnected the battery for couple minutes and plugged it back in and now it only shows 27-for sub o2 . im going to take it out for a spin, hopefully it will just give me 27 and 71 like always.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
alacran1;1938920 said:
After loosening both the throttle cable and transmission cable it shifts perfectly lmao. I guess i had it too tight. ::hang::

Well, that had no effect on anything other than raising main line pressure. Until you loosened it. That only effects shift quality at low speeds.

Last edited: