Why do most of the MKIII owners not buy hood struts?

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
This puzzles me, I have hood struts to hold my hood open and I see tons of these nice looking MKIII's on the internet with their hoods popped, hard parked and the stupid stick holding the hood open. I know there not dirt cheap but seriously? Am I in the wrong here? lol

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Excuse me... I don't use one of those "stupid sticks" to hold my hood up. I use a ratchet bar clamp. :rolleyes: I just pinch the strut when it's fully extended.

6-Ratchet-Bar-Clamp.jpg

It's just pure laziness is why I haven't bought some. I need both hood, and rear hatch for that matter. I think I just might buy some now that you mention it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You can also grab them at most local autoparts stores. I got mine at Autozone years ago.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Because mk3 owners are cheap motherfuckers and need every dime just to keep them running. Wasting time and money on frivolous hood struts is not going to happen when a set of vice grips do the job just fine.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
LOL.
"frivolous" hood struts.
My car currently looks like ass, but both the hood and the hatch have minty fresh struts. Didn't find it all that expensive.
Got tired of getting hit in the head by both. The rear is a slight pain to replace, but the fronts literally take 3-5 minutes.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Iirc rock auto has them for like 17 each. Maybe napa. I forget.

Mine work.

There usually too strong for cf hoods tho.

Suprapowaz!(2);1837096 said:
Excuse me... I don't use one of those "stupid sticks" to hold my hood up. I use a ratchet bar clamp. :rolleyes: I just pinch the strut when it's fully extended.

6-Ratchet-Bar-Clamp.jpg

It's just pure laziness is why I haven't bought some. I need both hood, and rear hatch for that matter. I think I just might buy some now that you mention it.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA love it. i bought new struts while cleaning up the engine bay/rebuilding the engine... and then i just picked up one of the cf top secret style hoods from T701jz... and i can not has struts :( lol time to figure some way to go standard hood prop

if i made a for sale thread for my hood struts and put a picture of an engine bay with the stick, circled the stick in red, and put a caption saying 'performs the same function as supra-stick' do you think people would take it seriously? lol

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IJ.;1837164 said:
Push a piece fo coal into the average Mk3 owners ass wait some time and you'll get a diamond... :nono:

Many car owners are that way. I don't know how much other work you do in your shop, but customers priorities were never mine. When it gets hot, fix that A/C. No money for the blown shock or and humming wheel bearing or tires, just fix the A/C.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
supraguy@aol;1837114 said:
LOL.
"frivolous" hood struts.
My car currently looks like ass, but both the hood and the hatch have minty fresh struts. Didn't find it all that expensive.
Got tired of getting hit in the head by both. The rear is a slight pain to replace, but the fronts literally take 3-5 minutes.

were did you get your rear struts from?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick M;1837169 said:
Many car owners are that way. I don't know how much other work you do in your shop, but customers priorities were never mine. When it gets hot, fix that A/C. No money for the blown shock or and humming wheel bearing or tires, just fix the A/C.
Understand fully Nick and this is why I left the industry many years ago..

I was just answering the Mk3 Specific question but you could easily pencil in "most car owners" in place of "the average Mk3 owner" ;)

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
hvyman;1837155 said:
There usually too strong for cf hoods tho.
I dont know for shure, but I would certainly guess if both are extreamly blown or if 1 is and the other is missing it should work.
Just wiegh the factory hood and wiegh the CF hood, subtract the differnece. If the CF isnt too light wieght the you might be able to use just 1 brand new 1 all on its own.

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
Maple191;1837179 said:
I dont know for shure, but I would certainly guess if both are extreamly blown or if 1 is and the other is missing it should work.
Just wiegh the factory hood and wiegh the CF hood, subtract the differnece. If the CF isnt too light wieght the you might be able to use just 1 brand new 1 all on its own.

Let me tell you I finally installed my CF hood from VIS racing and I left the shocks on and it was making my hood bow when closed. I decided to leave them installed and would only connect them when I was going to work on the car or have to leave the hood propped open. I'm going to see if I can find some lighter duty ones because the ones for the OEM hood are too strong for CF.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
mine work but are unhooked! lol bbut hey usually if somebody wants to see under the hood my pops is with me who has to use a cane. Solution? Dad sit in the car lemme borrow your cane:biggrinbo