Why do I need a -10AN oil drain for a DBB w/ 1MM oil restrictor ?

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
I see this is a touchy subject for a lot. some say use the double feed to drain formula some say use a tripple feed to drain formula. So If I have a DBB turbo with a 1MM hole for oil feed, why do I need a -10 or more drain if not a whole lot of oil is going in? I only ask b/c my -10An is touching the manifold, and I think I can get by using a -8 :biglaugh:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Most DBB CHRA's have 2 x 1mm restrictors fitting just before the Oil enters the actual bearings.
(old dbb units had none so would flood badly)

Can't really see a reason why a -8 wouldn't work, I have mine plumbed -12 as that's the fitting that came on the Group A pan ;)

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
So Russell and DEI don't state but I think it'll be about 1:49:13 before the inner's of that -10an melt from the heat of the manifold :icon_bigg

Seriously though, I think running about 1.5" T4 spacer, with a -8An drain should be more then enough here.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Motor out of the car?
If so, another option would be to weld a -10 fitting to the pan.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
yeah, thats ugly. Any room to clock the center section a little starboard and use a longer hose? I also found a 130 degree fitting off the turbo helps make that transition to the block a little smoother.

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
I played out the options in my head. If I go 45 out, then I'll have to come 90 back. The ideal setup would be to go Higher on the turbo thus extending the drain hose.

Jdub, The Pan also an option on the list, The engine is on the stand so I have some room to play around.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
VDO make a small pump much like a fuel pump that will do the job, you can mount it anywhere below the Turbo CHRA height then it can return to the stock port.

It has a -10 inlet from memory but with a 45 degree sweep off the bottom of the turbo it should all fit in and miss the runner..