Why did Toyota Set Up Our Suspension Higher in the Rear?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
When lowering it, what will happen to the stability of the platform? Will the rear end have more stability but the front less? :dunno: I'm planning on lowering the rear by 1/2 inch, so it matches the front of 1.5 inches lower than stock. Thanks. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I've been told Toyota set up the suspension higher in the rear so it wouldn't bottom out under a hard launch? Yeah... I asked fellow road racing club members at Cascade Sports Care Club and I was told to cut off 1/4 of the bottom winding on each spring and go out for a test run to see how well it handles. That's what I'm going to do... Van

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The rear springs are softer than the front. When you sit in the car they sink down more. If you have the car setup to sit level with nobody in it then it will sit lower in the back than the front once you sit in it (and it will sit really low and bottom out constantly in the rear if you put stuff in the hatch, kids in the back seat, and the wife in the passenger seat). That's why the back is higher.

Even if you don't ever plan to put more than yourself in the car the rear needs as much travel as it can get because when you accelerate out of a turn (not just when you launch from a stop) the rear squats down. If you're exiting a turn and you're near your adhesion limit and the car squats and bottoms out on the outside rear bumpstop it will upset the car and cause snap oversteer. 90% of the time when you see a powerful RWD car suddenly lose it and spin out exiting a turn this is why it happened. This is why the serious track guys don't run with their cars lowered excessively and if they lower them at all they run stiffer springs, upgraded swaybars, and progressive bumpstops.

terrenceLP

Mar 22, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
For towing stuff - Ahh-doy!

p1933601_1.jpg