Why are my Manifold Air Temps OUT OF THIS WORLD!?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'm running the Maft Pro in Speed Density Mode. All connections have been checked so many times that I know them by heart!

My IC setup is pretty standard. 2.5" Aluminum Pipe with a Driftmotion Spearco Replica. I am running electric fans and have them set to trigger just above the thermostat temp.

20G Turbo.

As you can see in the graph below, the MAT's just about double in this 3rd gear pull from 2k on up. This is basically how it looks in every pull.

It was approximately 48* at the time of this pull.

p1427483_1.jpg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
As air is compressed it increases temperature. At 14.7 psi temprature will effectively double from compression only. The temprature will continue to rise from inefficiencies of the turbo and from everything else heating up. What is it peaking at?

EDIT: I see the max and min. I'm suprised it's only going that high. I figured it would be higher. But I guess a third gear pull is relatively high speed run. Good flow to the intercooler keeping things cool.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Welcome to the world of compressed air & inefficiant intercoolers.
You should move the temp sensor to the outlet of the turbo,
and see how really high the the temp is!
You could roast a chicken in that air.:aigo:

HKS used to sell a dual display intercooler temp gauge to monitor before & after intercooler air temps.
But because it was only usefull to people developing systems, they dropped it.
Much like the GReddy turbo tach, once most people built their systems, they were not going to change it anyway.

You can do several things,
Go to a larger intercooler,
do a co2 spray into the front of the intercooler,
or just forget about it...........

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
A bigger intercooler is a thought. I was hoping to avoid that. What I don’t understand is how the temps can be so high with the location of my AIT. I purposely put it there to avoid heat soak. How can the air charge be that hot coming right out of the intercooler?!

Maybe I should start selling roasted chickens on the corner! :biglaugh:

Once the tune is stable I’m going to inject water/meth; but, I don’t want to bandaid a problem/issue with that. My next thought is that the AIT Sensor may be bad. The problem is that there isn’t anyone in my area that has one I can borrow. :(

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
CajunKenny;1427724 said:
Maybe I should start selling roasted chickens on the corner! :biglaugh:
:(
I'll take a half a chicken, with sides :naughty:

Reality, no intercooler is 100% efficiant.
The air is moving through them so fast, it just can not shed all the heat.
Big ones are better.
HKS & GReddy make some with 4" thick cores, and lots of hieght & length.
But it's hard to fit them in many cars.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I've seen other people's logs where the temp increase was ~17-20 degrees as opposed to my ~45 degree increase. They were running VERY similar setups.

To the one who asked: The reason afr's are still a little lean is because I'm not done tuning. ;)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
100 degrees isnt that hot considering what the air has been threw, If you were N/A and had an inside the engine bay air filter you would most likely have the same IAT's.

Like it was said intercooleres arent 100% efficient, neither are turbos, theres going to be heat generated.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
~45* ambient temperature. ~33* windchill temp. Underhood temp at AIT Sensor ~58*. How in the world do I end up at ~99* at the AIT Sensor on a single 3rd Gear pull?

I don't know. I just don't see it.

Maybe some other Maft Pro guys will chime in because it just doesn't add up for me.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Driving in Vegas I was seeing 150-160 intake temps just cruising around, so this isn't bad. Admittedly, ambient temps were a whole lot higher!

Is this on the street, or on a dyno? Looks like your setup is probably sucking in a whole lot of air that's been through the IC / Radiator.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
IJ: What was your baseline temp before the pull? I'm wondering what your increase was.

GrimJack: This is all street tuning. I don't have my Dyno up and running yet. :(

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
CajunKenny;1428085 said:
~45* ambient temperature. ~33* windchill temp. Underhood temp at AIT Sensor ~58*. How in the world do I end up at ~99* at the AIT Sensor on a single 3rd Gear pull?

I don't know. I just don't see it.

Maybe some other Maft Pro guys will chime in because it just doesn't add up for me.

As I said, compression causes temprature rise, at 14.7psi the temperature would effectively double from compression alone. Add in the ineffeciencies of the turbo and intercooler result in that. Imsure the air your turbo is compressing isn't the same as outside temperature because I'll bet your intake is under the hood near the hot manifold and everything else. That just adds to it.