Why am I going from auto to manual??

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
1987 Supra NA auto. 100% mechanically perfect. This car runs and drives like a brand new car. I have been trying to sell it or trade it for almost 6 months now with no luck. I need a commuter car for my son for college. He is using my car and I am driving the Supra and I really don't want to subject it to another Connecticut winter and daily driving. Its not fair to such a great car.
The MAIN REASON my car hasn't sold or traded is because its not a stick. Most guys could care less about the turbo but they ALL want a 5spd.
I have talked to several Supra owners and they all agree that the car just isn't fun to drive as an automatic and I should convert it to a stick. So.. I am going to swap in a W58 and am now in the process of getting a list of all the parts I will need to do it. Will converting my car from an auto to a 5spd really make it that much more fun to drive? It certainly doesn't look like that difficult of a job to do it once I get all the parts. It sounds weird but I really don't want to take such a great car apart unless its really going to be worth it.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Turbo Habanero;1413168 said:
there seems to be quite abit of people who prefer both i would list it for sell here see what you get.

I did list it here but got no offers. I listed as obo too but no luck. Its ashame... its a 100% mechanically done unmolested Supra driven by an old man (me). I did all the work myself and I didn't cut any corners. It runs and drives as good as a brand new car and actually better than my 3 other cars which are 15 years newer!! Just do a tiny bit of body work (and I mean tiny), and throw a new paint job on it and it would be mint. I love the car and I am trying to spare it another crappy Connecticut winter of daily driving.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
I get the typical questions and then the person doesn't show up to see the car or doesn't call back. The few people that did take it for a test ride absolutely loved it. Unfortunately.. they just wanted to drive it.. not buy it. I didn't know that until after the test ride when they came back with a big grin with all 4 rotors smoking!!
This is the question that I get everytime...
Is it a 5 spd?

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Poodles;1413446 said:
Fix the paint and it will sell. Keep in mind paint is NOT cheap these days...

Thats why I have the price negotiable. I got an estimate of about a grand to do the very minor body work, prime and paint. I knocked the car down to $2850.00 which seems like a screaming deal to me for a 100% mechanically done Supra.. done 100% correctly with $1500.00 worth of custom wheels and brand new tires on it. All the repairs are fully documented too. Did I mention it had a new rack installed in it 12K ago and is as tight as a brand new car. I just don't get it.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
mdr40z;1413572 said:
maybe I missed it, how many miles does it have?
Car has 112K on it. I bought it 3 years ago with 95K. I did all the work to the car at 105K last summer. The paint is actually in very nice condition. Nice enough for me to wax it every month. The hood was faded so I primer sealed it black with intentions on painting it. The late model wing on the back is also primered black and needs a little body work on it to be perfect. It has a cool integrated 3rd brake light molded into it. The clearcoat is flaking on some spots and there is a rust spot that hasn't come through yet that is about the size of a silver dollar on the drivers side front fender near the belt molding. When I did the BHG (which was a very minor event and the car never actually overheated..) I did everything. Stripped the head and had it hot tanked, pressure tested and planed. I replaced everything at that time. New valve stem seals, cam seals, timing belt, water pump, head bolts, belts, wires, plugs etc... I retorqued the head after 5 heat cycles, the car has a K&N cold air system, hardpipe, JDM twin muffler, new brakes, new tires, new custom rims, I have all the original parts, interior is in excellent condition, dashboard is new, wiring harness is 100% perfect and unmolested, shifts hard and crisp, handles like its on rails, stops on a dime, sounds like a Ferrari. Ice cold AC, steering rack only has 12K on it, TEMS works perfectly.
I followed the advice from many of the forum members here and did the job correct. I figured that if I needed to sell the car it would go instantly. Man.. was I wrong. Guys are willing to buy a beat to shit turbo 5spd that has been molested its entire life and is about to blow a head gasket with no maintainance records but they won't touch my car. One guy actually did that exact thing. He was going to buy my car for $2900.00 and instead bought a 1991 turbo 5spd targa that had a leaking targa top, original head gasket and 135K on it for $1800.00. I told him that unless he could do the work himself.. the head gasket was going to cost a ton to fix WHEN it goes. The car also needed tires and had no maintenance records. He could have bought my car and put $500.00 into it for a 5spd swap and he would have had a car that was mechanically sound.
Back in the old days (I'm 48), we stayed away from the molested beat to crap cars and looked for cars that were maintained and as mechanically original as possible because they made great cars for restoration or candidates for mods.
I have told anybody that has called about my car.. whether they were coming to look or not.. that if they are going to buy a Mark III Supra they need to get as much maintenance info as possible unless they are willing and able to wrench the car themselves. It seems most of them think its a Toyota so all they have to do is put gas in it.
This car is probably the nicest handling and running 22 year old car you could ever imagine finding. If you closed your eyes you would think you were in a brand new car by the way it handles and drives. It kills me to subject it to daily driving, winters, parking lots and all the other crap that happens to a year around driven car. My Supra deserves better than that and I was really hoping somebody who appreciates what a true super car these Mark III's are would have bought it already. I am now down to $2850.00 with no bites at all. One just sold for $1600.00 that had a bad BHG and needed EVERYTHING.
If you did the minor body work on my car (probably about 5 hours tops) and gave it a repaint you would have an outstanding ride!

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
If you do the swap just to sell it you're going to be way in the hole after the cost of the swap. I just did an r154 swap and it cost like me 1700 bucks, if you do it on the cheap you could get under a grand I'm sure. How many offers do you think you would get after adding a grand to the price.

You should do the 5 hour body work job to make it look good and wait for the right buyer.

supradreamz

Sep 20, 2009
long island
plenty of people have done this swap soo if your decision is to go for it then im sure you can find plenty of info on the subject on here and sf.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
iwannadie;1413626 said:
If you do the swap just to sell it you're going to be way in the hole after the cost of the swap. I just did an r154 swap and it cost like me 1700 bucks, if you do it on the cheap you could get under a grand I'm sure. How many offers do you think you would get after adding a grand to the price.

You should do the 5 hour body work job to make it look good and wait for the right buyer.

holy crap, I'm swapping my entire drivetrain for 1700! (7mgte, r154 conversion, lsd)

OP: manuals are more fun (IMO), but I've had plenty of fun with my auto

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
I am most likely going to end up keeping it and doing the W58 swap. I already have most of the parts lined up from this forum. I have no desire for a turbo car since I just putt around town in it. When my son is done with college he gets it back and drives it harder than I do but still.. its just an around town back and forth to work a few miles a day car. If I had a larger garage I would keep it and do the minor body work and have it painted or rent a booth and paint it myself. I am even considering putting up a large enough shed to put my motorcycle in so that I can put the Supra in my one car garage.
Not to beat a dead horse.. but I just don't get why it didn't sell.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
iwannadie;1413626 said:

The body work would be basically sanding the car down and getting it ready for paint. It doesn't really have any dents or dings in it. Just a tiny one in the front passenger side corner of the fender. It already looks really good and shiny. Nobody that has come to look at it has complained about the looks. They all said it looks much better in person than in my advertisement pictures. I think it comes down to waiting for somebody who is looking for a MKIII Supra. I guess there are less of these people around than I would have thought.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Moy;1413670 said:
holy crap, I'm swapping my entire drivetrain for 1700! (7mgte, r154 conversion, lsd)

OP: manuals are more fun (IMO), but I've had plenty of fun with my auto

Sorry in advance for this stupid question.. but... will swapping in a W58 make my Supra faster because of the different gear ratios? I notice on my car that it really comes alive at the higher rpms. Problem with an automatic is that when you are at those higher rpms you are almost triple digits on the speedo!! I would love to feel some of that grunt at the lower speeds.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It will feel more lively because it's more direct and doesn't have as much parasitic drag, but from a dead stop autos are faster because they shift faster.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
You wouldn't happen to also have a MKII would you? I have seen one in Milford, but never a (running) MKIII other than mine.

Personally, I wouldn't swap it. You will end out loosing in the long run.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jgcable;1413679 said:
Sorry in advance for this stupid question.. but... will swapping in a W58 make my Supra faster because of the different gear ratios? I notice on my car that it really comes alive at the higher rpms. Problem with an automatic is that when you are at those higher rpms you are almost triple digits on the speedo!! I would love to feel some of that grunt at the lower speeds.

You will have a Bit more pick up cause you can have alittle bit more control at low end of your car but not because of the gear ratios and auto's tend to take around 10hp and are heavier.