Why 0-30 Oil?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So yea i was wondering why every one says 0-30 i don't know if its the best for me i was told to use thicker oil because i live in Arizona so maybe thats why they said that,maybe because of extreme heat?

Im not looking to get flamed just for reasoning and info/discussion

gitplayer

Apr 29, 2009
Adelsheim
I'm not sure if that is interesting to you but in Germany we use 10w60 or 5w50 synthetic oil.

Nobody would actually consider using a w30 oil because it becomes to thin at high temps. Ok, you are only allowed to drive 80 mph maximum speed. Maybe it's ok for that.

But 5 minutes on a German Autobahn with 200+ Km/h and your oil temperature is beyond 120° C (248 F) with the stock oil cooler.

It has proven to be the best choice for us.

iskrem

Oct 1, 2008
Norway, Gardermoen
It is said that because it is thinner, it is also thinner at startup which reduces wear and tear. It also gets into optimal thickness. Higher grade oil is too thick at normal driving conditions.

Thin = higher flow, higher flow = more oil moved, more oil moved = cooler temperatures?! :p

Viscosity of 10 is "optimal".
http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/oildatasheets.html

Read this the whole thing here:
http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/

EDIT:
Small changes and link added.

Last edited:

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Check out this post by Jdub about GC 0W30 oil, and why he uses it. (If you didn't know, Jdub is our oil expert here; and I believe he also lives in Arizona).

Don't let the weight on the front of the bottle fool you, as that can often be misleading. If you look at the cSt numbers, the true viscosity of an engine oil, you'll see that GC 0W30 is almost as thick as a 40 weight oil at operating temperature. (At 100C GC has a cSt of 12.1, and 40 weight oils start with a cSt of 12.5).

Spend a few days reading through Jdub's oil section (and that link by AE Haas provided above), and you'll know more then you probably ever thought you'd know about motor oil. :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gitplayer;1418610 said:
I'm not sure if that is interesting to you but in Germany we use 10w60 or 5w50 synthetic oil.

Nobody would actually consider using a w30 oil because it becomes to thin at high temps. Ok, you are only allowed to drive 80 mph maximum speed. Maybe it's ok for that.

But 5 minutes on a German Autobahn with 200+ Km/h and your oil temperature is beyond 120° C (248 F) with the stock oil cooler.

It has proven to be the best choice for us.

It also depends on what oil the engine was designed to use. Read the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig (or posted above)...note what the author uses in his Ferrari ;)

The solution to high oil temps is a bigger cooler, not thicker oil.

Turbo Habanero;1418614 said:
Makes alot of sense but is there any reason that iw ould want to go Thicker because my AVG Outside Temp is higher?

A worn engine with larger bearing clearances as a result and I would not use >10W-40. OAT is not a good reason, but you can. The solution is to use a bigger cooler.

I live in AZ and I use GC ;)

gitplayer

Apr 29, 2009
Adelsheim
jdub;1418703 said:
It also depends on what oil the engine was designed to use. Read the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig (or posted above)...note what the author uses in his Ferrari ;)

The solution to high oil temps is a bigger cooler, not thicker oil.

Toyota suggests to use 10w40 here, so I definitely would not use a 0w30 Oil. 0w30 has a lowered HTHS viscosity and that's dangerous for old engines, because they are not build for it. Several oil manufacturers here warn you not to use it for old engines. Why should they lie?

I really don't know why all of you love it here, we don't. And we know why. :biglaugh:

But keep doing what you want here, we also do. :wave:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Jdub

I am running fine oil temps but as i have a very light knock at idle only we were thinking maybe it is just to thin of oil? but my timing is off abit to (taking care of it tonight) My friend has a 93 all trac and he uses a thick oil out here always has i think he said 10w50 is what he uses but when i told him that i here alot of people say 0w30 for my car he seemed alittle stumped by it.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gitplayer;1418749 said:
Toyota suggests to use 10w40 here, so I definitely would not use a 0w30 Oil. 0w30 has a lowered HTHS viscosity and that's dangerous for old engines, because they are not build for it. Several oil manufacturers here warn you not to use it for old engines. Why should they lie?

I really don't know why all of you love it here, we don't. And we know why. :biglaugh:

Show me where Toyota suggests using a 10W-40 in a 7M or JZ series engine.

Show me where oil manufacturers say using a 0W-30 is dangerous for "old" engines.

If you are going to say crap like this, you will provide the source or you will STFU. If you want to pump a fluid with the viscosity of honey through your motor during a German winter, have at it...just "keep doing what you want" there.

The 7M is built for it...I have debated it numerous times and backed it up as most guys here will attest. You are spouting hearsay, and frankly, are full of shit.
(Typical German with a superiority complex..I'm married to a German BTW...this I have personal experience with)

Turbo Habanero;1418761 said:
Jdub

I am running fine oil temps but as i have a very light knock at idle only we were thinking maybe it is just to thin of oil? but my timing is off abit to (taking care of it tonight) My friend has a 93 all trac and he uses a thick oil out here always has i think he said 10w50 is what he uses but when i told him that i here alot of people say 0w30 for my car he seemed alittle stumped by it.

Your friend is full of shit too. Do some reading as suggested...I'm not going to rehash all this.

gitplayer

Apr 29, 2009
Adelsheim
jdub;1418767 said:
Show me where Toyota suggests using a 10W-40 in a 7M or JZ series engine.

You want a scan of my german user's manual?

Apart from that: Here's a link to oil suggestions by Motul: http://www.motul.de/oelberater/auto/details.php?id_hersteller=45&id_kfz=2200

It's german only, sorry, but that won't be any problem for you I guess. :biglaugh:

And here is a warning from Motul concerning lowered HTHS viscosity: http://www.motul.de/i/prd/visk.htm

Again, german only, sorry.

I hope the links work.

gitplayer

Apr 29, 2009
Adelsheim
Btw.

No need to be offensive, I just said that we don't use a w30 oil, because it is to thin at high temps for our driving conditions.

German winters are cold, but 10w is fine. I never ever heard of any damage caused by running 10w here. And it's the most common oil for any kind of car.

Engine damages happen mostly because of low oil level or a fault in the lubrication system.

gitplayer

Apr 29, 2009
Adelsheim
deabionni;1418792 said:
^^^ Is it that hard to run the links through a translator? :3d_frown:

Link 1.

Link 2.

I personally don't like those translators because most of the time you have to guess what it means. :biglaugh:

And jdub said he has a german wife, so he can give you a translation.

Besides: Why should I put some effort in doing a translation if all you get here is being insulted when posting your opinion?

iskrem

Oct 1, 2008
Norway, Gardermoen
It is not like 10W will instantly kill your engine. But over time wear and tear will be higher compared to lesser grades of oil.

My Supra manual say I can use 5W-30. So, "motor was not designed for such oil" statement fails!

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gitplayer;1418610 said:

gitplayer;1418776 said:
You want a scan of my german user's manual?

Apart from that: Here's a link to oil suggestions by Motul: http://www.motul.de/oelberater/auto/details.php?id_hersteller=45&id_kfz=2200

It's german only, sorry, but that won't be any problem for you I guess. :biglaugh:

And here is a warning from Motul concerning lowered HTHS viscosity: http://www.motul.de/i/prd/visk.htm

Again, german only, sorry.

I hope the links work.

I'm betting the Mk III German users manual is identical to USDM...yes, show me where Toyota says to use a 10W-60 or 5W-50 (your previous "recommendation"). In fact, the User Manual oil specification for a 10W-30 is the largest ops range for the 7M. Since the MkIII manual is 20 years old, oil has come a long way since...a 0W or 5W-30 easily meets the ops temp (100 deg C) spec and flows way better cold. Unlike the uber thick oil you suggest.

Yes, I can translate German.

Now you are back pedaling to a 5W-40 oil? So you just used the "thicker is better" mindset like a lot of guys with no real knowledge on this subject. In the 1st link, Motul is saying their 5W or 10W-40 oil is "suitable" for the 7M...it is not a "recommendation". You call this proof...slim at best dude.

In the 2nd link, this is what Motul says:
Motul said:
measured in the lubrication gap at high oil temperature (150 ° C)

An oil temp of 150 deg C is excessive. If you are experiencing that (even on the autobahn) it's time to fix the real problem...your oil cooler is inadequate. Using thick oil to compensate for high temps is a band aid at best...what about the other 85% of the time when you are not driving at 200 km/hr? Especially when you start the engine the 1st time in the morning...sorry, this argument does not float.

Note that Motul also says:
Motul said:
Possibly not suitable for older engines comply strictly service documents and recommendations of the manufacturer!

A couple of key words..."possibly" and "recommendations of the manufacturer".

You said:
gitplayer said:
Several oil manufacturers here warn you not to use it for old engines. Why should they lie?

There's just a tad difference in what you stated and what Motul is saying. You are misrepresenting the facts.
That is why I insulted you...you deserved it...opinion has no place regarding this subject. The facts do, and what you are saying does not add up.

A 0W-30 oil is not too thin and it does not have lower HTHS characteristics...especially German Castrol 0W-30.
That includes in your beautiful country as well...yes, oil works exactly the same way in Germany.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
gitplayer;1418749 said:

lmao...so ignorant it's actually painful!