Who's from So cal

slowsupratt

Your Daddy
Feb 10, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
Anybody near Anaheim(Disneyland) who has done a 1jz swap to their car themselves? I'm just looking to see if anyone could help me out with this task later on as this will be my first big project. Thanks in advance.

slowsupratt

Your Daddy
Feb 10, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
Frankie_lala said:
would it be cool for me to come over and steal some knowledge if you find someone to help you out?
definetly...it's always good to spread the knowledge...it could be like a supra get together or something....all we need is a teacher:thumbup:

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
s0o who wants to be the teacher? do you have ur 1jz right now? heres the cheapest place i found for a 1jz clip if u need. http://www.gspeedcorp.com/cgi-bin/clips.cgi?page=4 we would like the ma70 ijz
theyre over near lax. so its automatic, i mean if u have a r154 already just get the bell housing and i guess u have to do something to the wiring harness. just find the neutral start switch and hook it up. just my 2 cents

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Don't get the Soarer clip unless you want an Automatic tranny. The wiring to convert it to a 5-speed is a pain in the ass. Just buy a clip from Driftmotion for about $2500. They are located in Pomona, not to far from you. I believe Aaron is selling his wife's 1J Auto right now for 5K as is. The motor swap was done recently. If I were you, I'd just buy an already swapped 1J 5-speed. It'll save you money and then allow you to sell your 7M Supra. That's what I should have done, and that's my advice to you.

Adam

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I 2nd buying a pre-swapped 1J car. It is about the same price and no headaches.

However, I understand if you want to do the swap your self. It is always fun and very satisfying when it is all done by you.

Soarer engines are good for a couple of reasons. Usually they are cheap. Also, soarers tend to be less abused and cleaner inside the motor. It is also a good plan if you don't want to use the hydro fan setup. It will already come with a regular mechanical water pump and fan, which can save you a few bucks.

Unfortunately, you will still spend about the same amount of money. By the time you find a harness, get it modified, ecu, bellhousing, flywheel and all the other parts you need.

If you are doing the swap yourself you may want to just get a jza70 5 speed clip because it will easier on you.

slowsupratt

Your Daddy
Feb 10, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
Well i MAY be aquiring this stuff....but dunno yet. Just like preparing just in case.

1jz motor with head studs and hks hg
1jz harness
installed walbro fuel pump
935 motorsports lightened flywheel (new)
black samco radiator hoses.
2 sets of stock twins
mk4 550's
wasabi garage single turbo manifold
IC piping
stock IC
1jz r154

Just need to pick up a few more odds and ends then like an ecu and clutch and probably a gt40-88.

odomd

computer illiterate
Jan 11, 2006
nj
I just finished my 1j soarer auto, it is not as bad as people say if you are a do it your selfer. You just end up with alot of wires you do not use , and I would be glad to share all wire info you need. But I still have'nt figured how to have 4th gear and speedometer Cable/sensor. Know matter what you get while it is out re build it.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
You should just buy Aarons car because it was done right and he can convert it to a 5spd. for you for cheap. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Frankie_lala

Sep 21, 2006
SoCal 90712
opps i ment jzx90 lol a friend of mine told me in class to not get that but to get the jzx90. i might as well do the chaser front end if im getting it right? i never really seen that before does anyone have pictures and how much of a pain is it to do the conversion? ohh and its on page 3 http://www.gspeedcorp.com/cgi-bin/clips.cgi?page=3. how bad is it to do an auto to manual swap? i already have an r154. i mean bell housing nuetral start switch and a few wires?

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Talk to Soapra (aka Jose). He's the co-owner of Driftmotion. He converted to half Supra half Soarer. It was a royal pain in the ass from what I'm IIRC to attach the front end and make it look good. If you want to do the Chaser front end conversion, you'd better be ready to do a lot of fabbing, body work, and spend a lot of time trying to get things to fit and work properly. You can drop in a 1JZ with 5-speed out of a JZA70 clip without much hassle, especially if you have an 89-92. But if you want to get a Soarer clip and convert it to a manual, have fun and do your research. If you aren't good with wiring and diagrams, I'd have someone else do it *cough Driftmotion cough*.

Adam

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
honestabe said:
Talk to Soapra (aka Jose). He's the co-owner of Driftmotion. He converted to half Supra half Soarer. It was a royal pain in the ass from what I'm IIRC to attach the front end and make it look good. If you want to do the Chaser front end conversion, you'd better be ready to do a lot of fabbing, body work, and spend a lot of time trying to get things to fit and work properly. You can drop in a 1JZ with 5-speed out of a JZA70 clip without much hassle, especially if you have an 89-92. But if you want to get a Soarer clip and convert it to a manual, have fun and do your research. If you aren't good with wiring and diagrams, I'd have someone else do it *cough Driftmotion cough*.

Adam

Hello Adam,

No matter how many times you try to gide someone in the right direction, they will never listen.

We never liked the clips (JZZ30's) that Gspeed had in stock, they were all dirty and beat. I was there this mourning checking a few other things out and they dont have much 1jz stuff. That Website has not been updated in over two years BTW!

slowsupratt

Your Daddy
Feb 10, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
I'm all ear and i would liked to be steered in the right direction. I'm just working on a deal with my car in a trade which may end me up with a supra chasis with most of the 1jz parts ready to be installed. The wiring is already done and in the car. So i guess this would'nt be a full swap but yeah. Just seeing who can help me out and lend me a hand. I know for a fact i don't want to take my car to a shop if at all possible. Well for tuning it later on yeah, but other then that i try doing all the work myself.