Who Has Fit 5-1/4'' Speakers In Front Stock Speaker Pods?? ('88)

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
beachsupra;1165457 said:
id recommend these speakers i have em and they sound amazing especially if you listen to alot of guitar.....trust me this site has the best prices i reaserched all over
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15350

So now I am looking into a suitable pair of rear speakers, to go with these ^^ in front.

I want something that can take up the slack from the lack of "thump" capable on the infinity's. I am thinking about these . I want to be able to listen to a wide variety of music, and have each type sound great.

Any ideas?

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
88mkIIIproject;1169885 said:
So now I am looking into a suitable pair of rear speakers, to go with these ^^ in front.

I want something that can take up the slack from the lack of "thump" capable on the infinity's. I am thinking about these . I want to be able to listen to a wide variety of music, and have each type sound great.

Any ideas?

look mid bass is mid bass, if you want thump get a subwoofer... thats kind of what there for:biglaugh:, if you try pushing too much bass through a coaxial speaker you WILL blow the tweeter, and eventually the speaker as well. you want to keep the frequency as high as possible on your other speakers (at the very least 250Hz). get a nice single 10 in a ported box. you wont be disapointed.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
shenronzero;1169897 said:
look mid bass is mid bass, if you want thump get a subwoofer... thats kind of what there for:biglaugh:, if you try pushing too much bass through a coaxial speaker you WILL blow the tweeter, and eventually the speaker as well. you want to keep the frequency as high as possible on your other speakers (at the very least 250Hz). get a nice single 10 in a ported box. you wont be disapointed.

I have an amp and dual sub box setup right now, but was not planning on keeping it in there, for lack of trunk room and the thing is heavy!

Maybe I will sell my subs and huge box locally, and look into a smaller sub box alternative.

But in general, what would be a good speaker to match up in the rear, with the infinity 52.7i's in the front? (or vice versa?) I don't want to ditch the rears, just personal preference.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
88mkIIIproject;1173654 said:
I have an amp and dual sub box setup right now, but was not planning on keeping it in there, for lack of trunk room and the thing is heavy!

Maybe I will sell my subs and huge box locally, and look into a smaller sub box alternative.

But in general, what would be a good speaker to match up in the rear, with the infinity 52.7i's in the front? (or vice versa?) I don't want to ditch the rears, just personal preference.

as far as the woofer goes you might want to give some shallow mounts a try... i have 4 and i love them. they are really light wieght and need no air space to make bass. now for the rears, you are going to run into the same problem i had, you now have a bigger speaker up front then you do in the rear so your are really not going to hear them. So you need to get some 4'' speakers that arent that cheap. try to find something with about the same power output as the fronts and possibly amp it as well. car audio is like a big giant ass hole... once you fall in you just keep going with no return :evil2:

i dont have any specific speaker to offer you becuase everyones tastes are different when it comes to car audio, however, Kenwoods are great for mids and highs, so is RE and soundstream is coming out with some great product too. As for the idea for a shallow mount woofer i would go with pioneer since they are the originaters of the shallow mount and they have had more years to perfect it than any other company, after that kenwood shallows are ok too.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
NCSupraowner;1173459 said:
I know it's not space saving, but does anyone have a "full range" speaker box? I used to have something similiar about 10 years ago in a 300z turbo and remember how great it sounded, is this one crap?

http://www.qualitycaraudio.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=18121

Crap wouldn't be a strong enough word. Shit is getting there, but still not as utterly bad as that would be. Pyle is the uh... shittiest name in the industry. Along with Legacy and Boss.

orbis-gte

Sep 7, 2008
Kentucky
Hi guys . i have installed alpine on the front , wanted to know what size can fit on the back , ? whill the same size fit on the back to with some small nice amp ?

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
shenronzero;1164104 said:
thanks, how did you get the 5.25 to fit there? i couldnt get anything bigger than a 4 to fit there or i didnt like the way it looked especially with the spacer ring i had to make. have any pics?

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 43

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
shenronzero;1196399 said:
your spacer when nice with your car. mine was a little different so i couldnt pull it off. also the the depth i couldnt either

The ring is the only thing that is sticking out. the speaker its self doesn't go over the carpet. i think i'll just leave the speaker, no ring, and come up with some custom grille to protect the cone in the future. i have this way not to have speaker exposed to not draw attention. but the bass response is much better, the speaker is crossed at 80hz at 18db and 5k at 24bd on top range and it actually works pretty good this way, doesn't pull the voices down. but 5k hz is pretty much the limit, higher then that makes the imaging go all over the place.

Where do you have your tweeters?

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
Pernilongo;1196445 said:
The ring is the only thing that is sticking out. the speaker its self doesn't go over the carpet. i think i'll just leave the speaker, no ring, and come up with some custom grille to protect the cone in the future. i have this way not to have speaker exposed to not draw attention. but the bass response is much better, the speaker is crossed at 80hz at 18db and 5k at 24bd on top range and it actually works pretty good this way, doesn't pull the voices down. but 5k hz is pretty much the limit, higher then that makes the imaging go all over the place.

Where do you have your tweeters?

all mine are coaxials. i just adjusted where the tweeter was facing

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
shenronzero;1169897 said:

Could always put an 8" sub in the bottom part of the door closer to the back, and then fiberglass, a couple of brands make a good shallow mount.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
soundwave2000;1197158 said:
Could always put an 8" sub in the bottom part of the door closer to the back, and then fiberglass, a couple of brands make a good shallow mount.

personally i wouldnt... cant imagine it looking any goo though. but yeah you could do it. there is so much room in the back to do whatever you want to. the front should be left for mids and highs. plus the longer it takes for the bass to get to you the better.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
shenronzero;1197166 said:
plus the longer it takes for the bass to get to you the better.

Thats why i leave my sub at home and drive as far away as possible, it sounds amazing this way. hahaha j/k.

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
shenronzero;1197166 said:
personally i wouldnt... cant imagine it looking any goo though. but yeah you could do it. there is so much room in the back to do whatever you want to. the front should be left for mids and highs. plus the longer it takes for the bass to get to you the better.

Thats why you use a good 3 way crossover and use the 8 as the woofer of a 3 peice component set up similiar to the alpine f status speakers.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I used fiberglass and wood with 92 door panels, but it could be done with 87-89 panels. Sounds great! More pics here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78429
speaker%20pods%20012.jpg

speaker%20pods%20011.jpg

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Pernilongo;1203365 said:
What is that speaker man? looks like untreated paper. and the magnet is awfully deep.

They are old school German made MB Quart's, QM130. They sound phenomenal, and this model won all the sound quality competitions back in their day. The set with tweeters retailed for $499 new, but I got these off eBay for $30 a pair!

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
tekdeus;1204075 said:
They are old school German made MB Quart's, QM130. They sound phenomenal, and this model won all the sound quality competitions back in their day. The set with tweeters retailed for $499 new, but I got these off eBay for $30 a pair!

Nice. its amazing how paper sounds sometimes. All that fiber/kevlar/glass stuff isn't really making it any better and often worse.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Pernilongo;1204145 said:
Nice. its amazing how paper sounds sometimes. All that fiber/kevlar/glass stuff isn't really making it any better and often worse.

I agree totally. Every speaker in both my cars and home are paper (same MB quarts), except for tweeters. Nothing sounds better IMHO.