Who Doesnt Need New Tires?

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH
Not shure where this thread should go, so mods dont flame me....

Is there a "tire thread"? and specificaly a "rating of tires thread"

I have 03-04 cobra rims 17x9 basicly im looking to run a 275/40/17 rear and 255/40/17 front

4 options
BF Goodrich G-force TA KDW
Goodyear Eagle F1
Nitto 555R
Sumitomo HRT Z

Keep inmind, these are for street use/ autocross, not allout drag... and i wouldnt hate having these last atleast 2 seasons

Ive also heard rumors from the stang community that MickeyThompson ET streets will fit as wide as 315

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I need new tires as well.. A lot of people run the Mickey Thompson ET Streets and have good results, as well as the Nitto NT555R.. Thats what I am looking to run but on 16's my size will be 245/50R16

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
winsauce;1648102 said:
Not shure where this thread should go, so mods dont flame me....

Is there a "tire thread"? and specificaly a "rating of tires thread"

I have 03-04 cobra rims 17x9 basicly im looking to run a 275/40/17 rear and 255/40/17 front

4 options
BF Goodrich G-force TA KDW
Goodyear Eagle F1
Nitto 555R
Sumitomo HRT Z

Keep inmind, these are for street use/ autocross, not allout drag... and i wouldnt hate having these last atleast 2 seasons

Ive also heard rumors from the stang community that MickeyThompson ET streets will fit as wide as 315

Where did you get that list? If I was wanting a tire that could corner I would be looking at the Khumho XS, Bridgestone RE01R, Nitto NT05, Falken Azenis 615.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supraguru makes some good suggestions. I put 275/40/17 NT05's all around on my car, and the thing is almost scary how fast it can corner now. Also had good experiences with (albeit on a 2000 Miata) the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. The GY are expensive, but also should last a bit longer than the Nittos.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supraguru05;1650234 said:
Where did you get that list? If I was wanting a tire that could corner I would be looking at the Khumho XS, Bridgestone RE01R, Nitto NT05, Falken Azenis 615.

The original Falken Azenis 615 gets greasy as it gets hot. Still a fun tire, can get scary in rain though. The new version should be pretty badass from what I hear.

And although they're not available in 275's for a 17" rim, consider Dunlop Direzza z1 Star Specs. I've got them on my M3 (255's on all corners) and the amount of grip far surpasses that of my old Falken 615's. These tires are dominating the auto-x in the BMW world, too. Most of the competitive guys on street tires are running the Star Specs and adore them. I havean't autox'd them yet, but trust me, if you're reaching their limits on the street, you've got a death wish.

BTW: I'm running the 255/40/17's on my 17x9 rims on the M3.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I, too need new 17's all around. I was just going to pop on Good Year.. lol.. a I non-exotic or what?? Assurance Triple Treads... thought they would be okie dokie.. although I havent given it a ton of thought. Was waiting until March or April to do that. However, I dont track, drift (purposely), or drive above 180 KPH (about 110 mph) in the car and the high speed is usually breif. I think I will import my next set of tires mind you, because Canadian tires are on average 40% higher priced than US

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
shaeff;1650688 said:
The original Falken Azenis 615 gets greasy as it gets hot. Still a fun tire, can get scary in rain though. The new version should be pretty badass from what I hear.

And although they're not available in 275's for a 17" rim, consider Dunlop Direzza z1 Star Specs. I've got them on my M3 (255's on all corners) and the amount of grip far surpasses that of my old Falken 615's. These tires are dominating the auto-x in the BMW world, too. Most of the competitive guys on street tires are running the Star Specs and adore them. I havean't autox'd them yet, but trust me, if you're reaching their limits on the street, you've got a death wish.

BTW: I'm running the 255/40/17's on my 17x9 rims on the M3.

I also have been running Dunlop Direzza Star Spec on my Supra ( 255/40ZR-17 all around) since their intro in 2008. IMO these are absolutely the best tires for the price when it comes to street grip tires! The only Cons of these ... I found the hard way - they should NEVER t be used or stored in below freezing temperatures.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Grandavi;1651320 said:
I, too need new 17's all around. I was just going to pop on Good Year.. lol.. a I non-exotic or what?? Assurance Triple Treads... thought they would be okie dokie.. although I havent given it a ton of thought. Was waiting until March or April to do that. However, I dont track, drift (purposely), or drive above 180 KPH (about 110 mph) in the car and the high speed is usually breif. I think I will import my next set of tires mind you, because Canadian tires are on average 40% higher priced than US

I highly recommend the Triple Treads for a winter tire, and they do alright in the summer too, as long as you understand that they're not a performance tire. Ran them for years, switched to Continental DWS's, and probably gonna be going back to the GY next winter.

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
I have no real knowledge on "performance" tires but highly suggest DiscountTires.com They'll match anyone's prices.

My tire experience: I got a recommendation(on his S6) and an inhouse manager's special on Yokohama YK520s. A set installed for under $500. They are "H rated" but prior to installing them I swore I needed new struts. Turns out that the sidewalls on the Kuhmo ASXs were just too weak for the weight of a Supra. The quality of the Yokohamas saved me ~$450 and are warrantied for 60k miles.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Discounttiredirect.com usually has better prices, and they're the only option people like me (who have no nearby DT locations) have. Same company, just kinda like an outlet/warehouse setup...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Stock fender, you can run 275's on, but it's (sorta) tight. What sort of offset are you looking at on the Cobra rims?

Also, would probably get a better response in the wheel fitment thread. General Mk3 area, stickied, usually on top. ;)

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
03-04 cobra 17x9s have a 26 or 27mm offset...to be honest Tyler, mine has khumo ecstas tires on 18's I am not pushing to much power but its hard to lose traction on them they r great and sticky mine just seems to go instead of losing traction haha for now ;) I think 245/40 275/40 on your cobras will be a good set of sizes up to you to run 265's up front or not