white smoke when pulling plug wires

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
I can't figure this one out. I can pull any of the spark plug wires off and the car starts smoking white out of the exhaust. What could cause this. I have read about HC unburnt fuel. Could this be the case. Does it mean that the fuel is loading up in the cylinder. Any input.

i actually did this cus rite now my car runs really rough when the engine's warm. so rough that the car doesn't run on its own until i start it a second time and giv it a little gas. i pulled each wire individually because it sounds like a piston isn't firing. so the plug that i pull that doesn't make any change in the engine is the one that needs replacing. turns out that the 5th plug completely kills the engine and the others dont affect performance at all.......

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
just remembered, that with my n/a, it would run perfect when cold, then when it warmed up, it'd run like sh*t.. started unplugging injectors, turned out one of my injectors was shot when it got warm.. unplugged it, and nothing changed.. maybe you have an injector dying?

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
jetjock;1693233 said:
Don't be doing that too long or too often unless you're actually wanting to melt the catalyst...

Don't have to worry their jj. I have 3" pipe all the way back. Where I live emissions are not enforced.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
You have to realize too that because it is a waste spark, every time you pull one wire off you are killing that cylinder as well as its companion. If you ground the plug out like JJ mentioned then you will only be killing the one cylinder that you are trying to test.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
CyFi6;1693513 said:
You have to realize too that because it is a waste spark, every time you pull one wire off you are killing that cylinder as well as its companion. If you ground the plug out like JJ mentioned then you will only be killing the one cylinder that you are trying to test.

I believe you are wrong on the waste spark thing. If you pull one wire off the companion will still fire. All waste spark does is as one cylinder is at tdc it fires and the other companion fires on the exhaust stroke. Anybody can correct me if I am wrong.

What concerns me about my ignition system is I tried the 3 volt off the car and on the car igniter test and could not get the power transistors to turn on. My question is would the car still run without the power transistor not working.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
jetjock;1693268 said:
He may be looking for knock or doing what's called called a cylinder power balance test, although the right way to do it is short the plug out.

it just seemed odd to me, as the way i always did it was by shorting the plug out.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Then you're doing it correctly. What he is doing risks damage to the coil packs.

89supracrazy;1693687 said:
...What concerns me about my ignition system is I tried the 3 volt off the car and on the car igniter test and could not get the power transistors to turn on. My question is would the car still run without the power transistor not working....

No, it wouldn't. And the TSRM igniter test procedure, unless read very carefully, won't work. Probably why you couldn't get the thing to trigger.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
jetjock;1693715 said:
Then you're doing it correctly. What he is doing risks damage to the coil packs.

No, it wouldn't. And the TSRM igniter test procedure, unless read very carefully, won't work. Probably why you couldn't get the thing to trigger.

OK. That answers that question. I was reading ismns post about he could not get the igniter to test right and he was testing it wrong. When he tested it right he said everything showed like the tsrm said.