white smoke on start up

demolition man

Jul 15, 2007
ct
on start up i get a sumwhat heavy white smoke from the exhaust, then in a minuet or so it goes away and runs fine. there is no loss of power or n e thing in the engine, what would it be?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
demolition man;1111535 said:
on start up i get a sumwhat heavy white smoke from the exhaust, then in a minuet or so it goes away and runs fine. there is no loss of power or n e thing in the engine, what would it be?
White smoke only means one thing, BHG. Check the normal things, if you search there are plenty of threads on it .

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
it could be oil dripping from the valve covers to the exhaust manifold, where it seeps through and "burns" in your exhaust. i have the same thing, start it up and smoke comes out, but goes away with no loss of power,etc... changing the valve cover gaskets is next on my to-do list :)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Shouldn't be white if it's oil, blueish maybe. The OP needs to test for a BHG if the smoke is white, maybe the onset.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
gelboy1015;1111836 said:
it could be oil dripping from the valve covers to the exhaust manifold, where it seeps through and "burns" in your exhaust. i have the same thing, start it up and smoke comes out, but goes away with no loss of power,etc... changing the valve cover gaskets is next on my to-do list :)

Umm, Oil seeps through the exhaust manifold? Actually, if you have BLUE smoke on start-up, it's bad valve seals(not valve cover gaskets).

OP: I've seen similar cases(with a Ford, go figure...) where the head gasket had a tiny gouge in it from a water jacket to a cylinder. It would leak when cold, but as it heated, it would expand and seal itself, thus not leaking when warm. It WILL get worse.

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Clearly mark the level of the coolant in the overflow bottle, when cold, & check to see if it is gradually decreasing.
If you do not have any leaks through the hoses but are loosing coolant then its a BHG.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
cuel;1111868 said:
Umm, Oil seeps through the exhaust manifold?

Good stuff ;)

OP: I dunno what your problem is but I quote from the Toyota EFI/TCCS Service Training Handbook: "Leakage of engine oil from turbocharger into exhaust or intake pipe will result in white-colored exhaust. If this occurs check for crushed, deformed, or clogged oil return pipe. If not found leakage is due to wear of seal ring in turbocharger".

Edit: And if you're turboed why are you posting here?