White Smoke on start-up, but not afterwards

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
At first I was terrified I had a blown headgasket (Really not in a financial position to fix one) but after a bit of searching apparently white smoke for a blown headgasket persists after start-up

So I thought it might have been when the kid at the Gas Station hit Premium rather than super, but to settle it once and for all I thought I would ask you guys.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yep, the seals. The smoke quits after running. But as it cools, it is pushed in from the low pressure area forming. You can see it with a bore scope, just to make sure you don't waste a lot of time pulling the head off.

Kiraush

Jun 1, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
mcammarn;1943059 said:
Valve stem seals?
Nick M;1943080 said:
Yep, the seals. The smoke quits after running. But as it cools, it is pushed in from the low pressure area forming. You can see it with a bore scope, just to make sure you don't waste a lot of time pulling the head off.

Alright, doesn't sound too bad.
Sounds more like a bit of fun to me! :)

Thanks for your help, sighing heavily in relief that it isn't a blown headgasket

alvinheu

Dude WTF!!!
Jul 17, 2012
CALI
could possibly be a blown head gasket waiting for the right time hit u...is your radiator spitting water into your reservoir after a good amount of time driving?? thats what happened the first few times i experience a BHG
not possible that its a valve steam seal cus thatll cause black smoke burning oil

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Oil smoke from leaking valve stem seals is blue, and it will be a puff at startup. White smoke immediately after starting cold is a BHG. Steam from the exhaust while warming up is normal.
If you're a cheapskate you can fix a BHG for less than $400 with ARP studs, OEM HG, head resurface and gaskets.