white smoke no sign of bhg???

bigred

Jul 14, 2012
medicine hat
I had just installed a 7mgte in my supra trusting it had been assembled correctly (dumb ass mistake). Engine was running rough so i checked the timing and it was way out. I started investigating further and found the timing belt was installed wrong. Both cam gears were at about 1 o'clock with #1 TDC. The guy I bought the engine from had said he had installed a new head gasket but did not know how to start the car (long story) So when it was out of time there was a slight "pop" sound and out come the white smoke. I then installed the timing belt as per TSRM and checked the compression, all cylinders were between 148 and 152. So i put it all back together and started the car and it was running very well until it warmed up and the white smoke came out again. I have now removed the head and found no signs of a BHG. There was a MLS and arp studs installed by previous owner. I have brought the head into a machine shop and the machinist said there is no warping and the surface is excellent(no further machining required for new MLS) Block surface is the same. I'm out of ideas as to what went wrong. Any thoughts? :dunno: I did notice the coating on the head gasket was gone between one cylinder and a cooling jacket. Is this where it blew out maybe?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Mls will look different than a blown composite. Mls will not have deformation. It will have little stained spots where it leaked.

Replace the valve stem seals while your there.

Also take the no1 plug or and verify by watching a chop Stick go up with the piston that no1 is on tdc. The old crank pulleys rubber section will sometime move. Which means time for a new pulley.

bigred

Jul 14, 2012
medicine hat
OK thanks. I did use a chopstick to make sure I was TDC on #1. and it was good. The car this all came out of had about 60K miles. And I have ordered a complete rebuild kit from Cometic as well. I had also checked the torque on the arp studs and they did not budge at 85 ft/lbs. This is my first supra and I have been reading information constantly to catch up a bit and not screw this up. I will try and post a picture of the gasket later today.

Thanks for any advise on this.

bigred

Jul 14, 2012
medicine hat
The closeup is where I think it blew. Is that what to look for? Does anybody have any Idea what else this could have been caused it to be smoking?

Attachments

• DSC00649.JPG
    DSC00649.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00651.JPG
    DSC00651.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: