White smoke and missing,,sounds like it's camin. ??

Treecesmk2supra

Jul 27, 2009
Jackson, TN
Ok it was letting my 87 supra turbo idle today for about 10 min. After I changed the power steering hose. Well it started missing alil not bad. Just sounds like it was "cammin". Well then I noticed it was puffin white smoke. I first thought it was fuel inrichment staying on. Like the temp sensor was messed up , or the thermostat was stickin. Then I felt it was water and not gas. Sooo it's eathe head gasket or somehow water is getting in. Idk. Could someone help me.:1zhelp:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Is it really white smoke? It's pretty cold today, well at leats in VA and im just assuming there's no difference in TN too. Which power steering hose did you replaced?

Treecesmk2supra

Jul 27, 2009
Jackson, TN
Well it was cold in the morning. But this was around 2 in the afternoon. And pretty warm. Bout 75 or so. So it's not that. But I changed the hose that runs down under the intake. From the cooling pipe to the rack. It was the return hose not much pressure. It was bout 2 ft long with the padding on it.

But now my car in 4th and 5th gear boostin 10 psi goin bout 90+ mph it cuts out. But still pulls. But when I'm on it in 1st 2nd and 3rd it don't cut out and will squall the tires nicely. What's going one!!!!!!

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Did you:
Pressure test the cooling system?
Perform cylinder leakage test?
Perform compression test?
See if that helps narrow it down.
-AM3

Daugherty_3

(>")>
Sep 28, 2010
New Hampshire
if its not cold outside, white smoke usually is hint at burning coolant. defiantly check the compression, and cooling system as Another MKIII suggested.

Treecesmk2supra

Jul 27, 2009
Jackson, TN
I was going to do the colant pressure test but didn't have the right adapter for the top. I'm doing another comp test tommoro. I also took the top off the radiator and cranked it up. A guy told me if it don't spray out water it ain't your head gasket. And it didn't. He was a mecanic and it was confusing him on what was going on.

Treecesmk2supra

Jul 27, 2009
Jackson, TN
CoUld the water come out the turbo?? Cus last time i checked the shaft had some play. And it made a swallin noise yesterday for a second when I cranked it up after it set for a hour. Could it come out of the front side (cold side)?and make it start missin. ??

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Not sure, I know it is water cooled, so I don't see why not. Not sure though, I've never had to deal with a blown turbo myself.
-AM3

Treecesmk2supra

Jul 27, 2009
Jackson, TN
Yea. Had stuff to do today. I will check it all tomorow. I did take off the intake hose to check for water. Didn't see or feel no water. But I havnt cranked it today. Also no water in oil.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Turbo cannot leak coolant into the intake because the coolant goes around the center housing and is not sealed by a gasket or anything, I guess there could be a crack but not likely. What is the condition when the miss happens? Guessing you are saying in 4th and 5th so it may be a load issue so I would check for a small boost leak. Also white smoke can be coolant or, now don't get worked up people, but oil, yes oil can blow white when you are burning enough oil. So basic starting tests to be done, pressure test, leak down test, smoke the ic system to check for a leak.

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Check to make sure you don't have coolant down in the spark plug valley, I pinched the coolant hose that runs to the throttle body when installing a cusco anti-sway bar and it pissed coolant into the valley, which caused a miss.

Not sure about the white smoke, but that's never a good sign :yikes:

Treecesmk2supra

Jul 27, 2009
Jackson, TN
Alright guys. I will check today. I don't think it's a crack or leak in the turbo or ic. B/c I hasn't lost any boost. It still right on 10. And the smallest crack will drop it a pound or two. But I will check the comp. And all that today. But couldn't if the berrings go down in the turbo it leak around the berrings? I know my rings are good cus I just checked a few months ago. And it hasn't been driven much. I'm thinking hg. But I don't have any water in my oil. Wait you said it could be oil. I felt a skim of oil in my 3000 pipe. I know the turbo can blow oil. But it does it when it's settin still idleing. And it doont smell like oil or fell like it when you hold your Hand back there. It feels like water. Man this is pissin me off and I can't figure it out. And I'm tryin to sell it. That's the bad thing. I can't get what I want if it's F'd up. Lol

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Easiest test for the hg is going to be get a cyl leak down tester, hook it up to the cyls one at a time with the radiator cap off, if the hg is bad you should get bubbles in the coolant when the air is on on the tester. Really you can just hook a compression tester fitting to an air compressor and test the same way. Also a little oil in the ic pipes is not a big deal, I mean you have to have a lot of oil burning to turn it from blue to white smoke. A little smoke that is blue is oil.

I just thought about it but if you were working on the ps system did you disconnect or move any of the vac lines for the idle up.

Anyways just from a miss perspective you should go through and try to find out which cyls are missing. If you have a miss you can get some smoke too. Pull one wire off at a time and see if any of them does not make a difference to the engine. A lot of things can cause a miss, including the before mentioned coolant/water.oil ect in the spark plug galley. Take each wire off the plug and look for wetness. Also miss under load can be caused by faulty wires, how old are they and I would do a resistance test on them.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
metaphysico;1625324 said:
Anyways just from a miss perspective you should go through and try to find out which cyls are missing. If you have a miss you can get some smoke too. Pull one wire off at a time and see if any of them does not make a difference to the engine. A lot of things can cause a miss, including the before mentioned coolant/water.oil ect in the spark plug galley. Take each wire off the plug and look for wetness. Also miss under load can be caused by faulty wires, how old are they and I would do a resistance test on them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you pull the wires off one at a time, won't that create a miss on 2 cylinders since these cars use a waste spark?
-AM3

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
My car is like that right now there's water leaking on the #3 cylinder that's why my car runs like its rich but it was white smoke coming out. I retorque the heads to see it will work it did but I'm only boosting 10 and now its leaking again but not as much. I guess I have to replace the headgasket again.

Treecesmk2supra

Jul 27, 2009
Jackson, TN
I checked the comprssion today. It was 160 155 157 157 160 160. So it's not the hg I wouldn't think. It only misses and smokes when it's at runnin temp. When it's cold it runs perfect.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Another MkIII;1625377 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you pull the wires off one at a time, won't that create a miss on 2 cylinders since these cars use a waste spark?
-AM3

Nope the waste spark system sparks on both if you take one off they both still spark so only the cyl you took the wire off will have a miss, and if it does not miss then you know that is one of the problem ones and you can focus on that. See if you can find out which ones are missing then shut it off and test it again to make sure what cyls are missing. It could be two going out or it could be a random miss.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
metaphysico;1626095 said:
Nope the waste spark system sparks on both if you take one off they both still spark so only the cyl you took the wire off will have a miss, and if it does not miss then you know that is one of the problem ones and you can focus on that. See if you can find out which ones are missing then shut it off and test it again to make sure what cyls are missing. It could be two going out or it could be a random miss.
Yeah, I was either drunk or sleep deprived when I posted that, lol. I was thinking of a totally different type of system, you are correct. Sorry for the wrong info.
-AM3

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
im having the exact same issues with mine right now, only with very very little white smoke. i saw a little once but havn't seen it since. what do ur air/fuel ratios look like?

Treecesmk2supra

Jul 27, 2009
Jackson, TN
I'm out here working on it now. It is at runnin temp. And is missin and blowin alot of smoke. I pulled the wires off one at a time. And cyl. 3 , 4 and 5. Had the worst efect. The motor bout died when I took them off. But would the problem be with the cyl. With the least effect?? The other 3 didn't effect it much with about the same effect on each.

Last edited: